Hello! I'm new and i've got some issues

When I started, the finger pain got rather bad, but I’m used to working through pain, and compared to the regular pains I get, it was more annoying than painful. Didn’t have tape, didn’t want tape, wanted to keep throwing. But my hand was so sore from being smacked from the DM2 coming back fast I had to take a break for a couple of days.

As I’m still recovering from a strange nerve injury(not sure what caused it), I had to stop throwing for 2 weeks before a major show just to ensure my arm was gonna be fine, or at least better. It helped.

I’m back to throwing almost daily and while my progress is slow, the key is I keep at it and make some sort of progress each day. Sometimes small, sometimes big. Last night was big, as side binding just clicked and it started to come together. I hit the chat room to get a little more help, found my mistake and I’m pretty smooth with the side bind now. Not absolutely perfect, but nothing 2 more days of practice won’t fix!

My suggestion in addition to practice:
Buy more yoyos.
Keep one ultra responsive for those string-type tricks.
Keep one with a half-spec bearing for fast fun with less hassle.
Keep one fully dead-on unresponsive for your killer tricks.
If you make them different models or different colors, you can tell at a glance what is what.

At least that’s what I plan to do anyways. Eventually. Maybe get use my ONE as super responsive, and then get a WHIP for half-spec play or something like that. Or maybe another ONE in a diferent color.

Also, as good as the videos are here, there’s also other great places with great tutorial videos. It’s nice to get a second opinion or another point of view on something to get you through some hurdles. I start with the videos here first because they are good. However, Andre(the instructor) is good, and sometimes he’s just too fast or I’m just not getting some tiny bit of info that is hosing me up. Still, it’s a good starting point.

1 Like

thx for all the help…i still have trouble making a smooth sleeper :frowning: and i just cant land a break away…i guess ill need lots of practice…well, when i land a breakaway it dies too fast, its not centered enough and it slows down on the string

How long have you been yo-yoing now?

If you’re having trouble throwing a smooth sleeper, you just need to practice more.

If you’re having trouble throwing a break-away, again, just practice more.

I’m 10 weeks into yoyo’ing. I can bind side and front now. As a result, my throws have gotten MUCH better now that I’m getting ready to get into unresponsive play. But, before I head down the intermediate trick path, I want to fine tune my bind and then work on string tension.

My objective: develop CRITICAL skills early so it won’t distract from progressing with tricks. HOWEVER, I will be avoiding snap starts for a bit.

Again, practice, practice, practice. And practice some more. You’ll get it. Trust me, you will. Even so, my sleeper and break away can always use more work, but as I practice other stuff, those two elements also have to improve. You can’t practice too much.

loll, i didnt know Yo-yo took so much practice haha, im usually really good in everything i do, and i remember when i was young, it wasnt that hard to sleep my yo-yo, but well, i was young so maybe it wasnt a good sleep, and it was on a cheap yo-yo :stuck_out_tongue:

LOL omg, everytime someone says “Yo!” i cant help but to think about Yo-Yos XD