Help

I am kinda new at yoyoing, but i have learned things here and there by other people and this site has helped a lot. One thing that i do need help with is placement. When i first put the string on my middle finger it is alright, but after a few tricks it tightens up a lot and makes my hand lose circulation. My finger swells and i have to loosen the slip-knot and stop for a while. Is there a way to fix this or do i have to live with it? Can someone please help?

Ah… I remember when that used to happen to me. It feels really uncomfortable, doesn’t it?

This is something that happens to beginners. Your finger just isn’t used to the stress of having a tight slip knot around it for extended periods of time.

However, the way your describing it, it sounds like you could be positioning the loop at the base of your finger which is a problem. Position it between the second and third knuckle along your finger. This is the correct way.

Also, there is yoyo tape avaliable to buy which also helps with the discomfort you feel at first. It is avaliable here and it’s called Yoyoexpert tape.

Happy throwing!

1 Like

Glenacius K thank you so much you that helped me so much! I was placing at the base of my finger and moving helped a lot thank you. Also i have a problem when sleeping and string tricks could you help? When i throw a sleeper it always goes down sideways and stops and when i am doing string tricks the yoyo stops and i have to rewrap it. i dont know if im just doing it wrong or what but can you help?

Just out of curiousity, what yoyo(s) are you using? This happened to me when I first started nearly for years ago. My first yoyo was an xodus2 so you could imagine how painful throwing was :stuck_out_tongue:

Well I have not been able to have more than the one my grandma got me because I am not old enough to have a job but i am really passionate about this sport and I have to use the Yoyo factory one my grandmother got me and my grandmother insists it is a yoyo factory one. If you click starter pack here on this site she says that is the one she bought but I’m not sure

That’s just a matter of your throw (like, your arm, not the yoyo. In case of any confusion) you just need to keep practicing and it’ll smooth out.

Thanks fuzzwad and i will.I just have to find a diffrwnt way to throw it I guess

The advice by Glenacius K was great. Definitely put the loop between the 1st and 2nd knuckle.

But I’ve also found that it matters which way you put the slip knot on your finger. You can have the single string side towards your thumb, or you can have the double string loop side towards your thumb. I’ve found that for me, if I put the single string side towards my thumb I get a lot less slippage and therefore less irritation.

I hope that’s helpful.

1 Like

Greg B thanks that really helped too. I appreciate everyone help. I have another question I was wondering if anyone had a yoyo in good condition that i could buy kinda cheap if so please message me thanks.

OK, let’s look into that. Are you looking for a responsive yoyo or an unresponsive yoyo (one that you have to bind)? Responsive yoyos are easier to learn on, but in the long run are limited in what tricks you can do. See the “Learn” section of this website to get a good example of how far you can go with a responsive yoyo. From the point Andre starts doing lessons on unresponsive yoyos and binds you will need an unresponsive yoyo.

However, learning to bind takes some practice. It took me about a week to get it fairly well. It took my grand daughter about 3 weeks until I promised to buy her a Replay Pro if she could do 3 binds (not in a row, just do 3). She practiced for an hour straight until she got it. So be aware that until you learn to bind you can’t really do anything at all with a non-responsive yoyo.

Also, I wanted to offer one more piece of advice. I don’t know how old you are but you said you’re not old enough to work so I’m assuming you’re younger than 18 and perhaps in grade school. If someone offers to help you out that’s great, there are a lot of good people here and there may be folks who would be glad to help out and send an inexpensive yoyo your way. But be very careful giving out your name and address to somebody online who you don’t know. Check with your parents or grandparents first before you give out any personal information.

Stay safe buddy.

3 Likes

The info provided here is amazing, and definitely be aware of internet safety! The only thing I wanted to add is about basic throw technique. Something that really helped me was basically creating a C shape with my middle finger and thumb and cupping the gap of the yoyo. It helps make sure that things are lined up and you can focus on throwing so that your middle finger goes straight down.

1 Like
   I asked my grandma that I live with and she said of i get one i can get one sent to my other grandma. I also try to never give out my name unless under certain circumstance. Thank you and I am looking for a responsive yoyo. Thank you again.

I used to have this problem when yoyoing. My best suggestion would be to stop when it starts to swell, but fight through the pain unless it gets really bad. It’s the best way to get a callus, which, if you yoyo long enough, will cause the pain and swelling to cease.

Ok thanks I will and it seems to start to go away now