Having trouble with my NEW unresponsive metal yoyo

Just recently got a metal unresponsive yoyo. I got the Elevation - Red (Blasted). I was working on the bind when I realized it was all of a sudden now responsive. I took off the string and put it back on but its still responsive. I spent $50 on this yoyo and I’m hoping someone can help me figure out what’s going on.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Do you have a replacement bearing? And how old is your string? If it’s frayed, bits of it could be getting in the bearing causing it to respond.

1 Like

Did you take it apart at any time? If it was put together improperly the string might be getting caught between the bearing and body of the yoyo. Did you double loop the string like a responsive? Photos will help.

sounds like maybe there was a knot which caused it go responsive at first then after that you might have put it back together slightly wrong. do you have any pictures of the yoyo?

Orrrrrr the bearing already seized up and/or is breaking in. Has happened to me more than once with a new throw. Bearings can be finicky.

4 Likes

Thirding the bearing replacement.
About 4 out of the last 10 yoyos I’ve bought, I’ve had to replace the bearing on immediately.

1 Like

It’s unlikely that you need to replace the bearing. I do often have to clean the bearings in new yo-yos though, because they can get debris in them during assembly and shipping.

I recommend cleaning the bearing and then lubing it with a very thin lubricant intended for unresponsive bearings. You can look up a ton of videos on how to do this.

2 Likes

Fair enough. I should have said “clean or replace.”
What I’ll do is replace the bearing and put the old one aside for cleaning later. But then, I have several spare bearings hanging around.

2 Likes