Haven't had a yo-yo in a few years! Looking for a recommendation

Hey!! I haven’t had a yoyo since probably 2014, I used to be pretty good though. I’m looking to buy a yoyo because I miss it. I had a lot of good memories of it but stopped before high school because I was afraid of getting made fun of. One time Tyler Severance brought me to the YYF office and gave me a prototype TooHot. He encouraged me to compete in the AZ contest too (I made the finals but got last place).

I was hoping you guys could lead me in the right direction, I got lost looking through the shop.

I think I want something smaller and floatier, preferably under $100. I haven’t heard of a lot of these brands but would love to support a smaller company!!

6 Likes

Try the YYF California it’s a good smaller edc yoyo.

1 Like

I’ll write that down thanks!

Throwback Arcade is another good one but not sold on Yoyoexpert so you will have to google it.

Gway Saboteur is a little larger but an excellent yoyo as well.

Seems like you might want to checkout Recess, even if only for old time’s sake Recess – YoYoExpert

Check out Static Co. Wave. Smaller fun and floaty organic made from 7068 AL.

if you like plastic this is the latest and greatest from Luftverk… plays so well.

6 Likes

Get a Hendiatris! Small company. Nothing else like it and It’ll blow your mind how great the performance is.

2 Likes

Gosh… That looks pretty interesting. Seems like a large gap @ 4.75mm, how are binds?

2 Likes

I’ll plug One Drop. I haven’t been disappointed by them, yet, and they’re all so different. The Kamuraiju with ultra light side effects is fantastic. I also have a hard time putting the Thorn down. If you’re looking for organic, the Panorama has that classic “Imperial-like” feel with a more modern, versatile design. Arguably, the Free Solo is the best performer currently available, but of course it’s a matter of preference. Regardless, as they say, you just can’t go wrong with One Drop.

I know you said smaller company, but I’ve been impressed by Duncan, too. The Haymaker OG is small, light and spins a ton due to the bimetal design.

2 Likes

I’ve had a lot of fun with the Recess Little League
https://shop.yoyoexpert.com/products/little-league-yoyo-by-recess

1 Like

I personally have a pretty similar story, I stopped yo-yo in 2014 and got back into it I’d say 2 years ago. You’re probably safe getting a budget from a brand you use to really like, then you’ll form your own opinion again once it comes back to you.

1 Like

+1 for One Drop and Recess. Easily my top two favorite brands. If you want to support Tyler, and enjoy the finer things in life, have a look at some of Recess’ latest releases:

2 Likes

One Drop Nitro seems like it could also fit the bill.

2 Likes

Wow cool to see he has his own company! Any thoughts on the Little League?

Might have to buy 2. Super intrigued by this plastic Fulvia, never knew high performance plastics existed… is that new?

1 Like

I haven’t tried the Little League, but I see that it was mentioned up-thread.

1 Like

Thanks for the help! I think I’ll get a little league or another recess design and the plastic Fulvia!

1 Like

fulvia is a new process for making plastic yoyo. They used injection molding as well as CNC machining. I haven’t tried it but the community agrees its insane.

For the money, since you said something smaller in Diameter. Might I suggest the unprld recognition. I also stopped yoyoing around 2011 and came back 2019. Recognition is probably the best value throw i’ve bought since getting back. It’s $45 and is a higher grade aluminum. It has a bit of weight on the string but also has a fluid play style and the stability is insane for a monometal.

1 Like

My suggestion with a budget of around $100 is to get a few different throws to get a bit of variety and see what you like rather than place all your eggs in one basket. You might well be surprised how well some of them in the $30-40 range perform.

Outwith other good suggestetions above, I am loving the Topyo Colossus 6 at the moment which is slightly smaller and oh so comfortable.

1 Like

Buy off the BST :slight_smile: