Have you ever "played through" a responsive, over-lubed bearing?

Wait am I old!? Cuz I remember seeing this all the time as a kid :joy:

4 Likes

Pulling apart harder than normal a few times doing gyroscopic flop can fix this. Pull hard and move your hands so the yoyo stays in the center of the flop.

2 Likes

Wonder how many collected the “Star” wrappers :joy:

again, so many wont know what that is either.

5 Likes

I definitely remember the owl commercial but I’ve never heard of the “Star” thing. I just googled it. Odd I’ve never heard of that.

3 Likes

There was also the Indian and Star wrapper. We never did anything with them, but we were always told that you needed to save those wrappers because you’d get something free :joy:

edit: looking it up again, I guess the star and the indian and star were the same thing. Interesting too, that the rumor of the star started in 1931 apparently.

2 Likes

A couple of days of regular play. A day of constant play. If the bearing is flooded with lube it will never work. Also, this vary hugely from yoyo to yoyo :o you gotta take into consideration the different response feels of each yoyo (different gap widths, flat/centering bearing, probably even different response).

1 Like

It can take a while, but after experimenting with some responsive and fixed-axle, I find it doesn’t bother me as much as it used to.

I also recommend using One Drop V4M lube for your unresponsive throws. I don’t know what it is about this stuff that makes it so magical, but I’ve tried a few different thin lubes from different companies, and I’ve found that this one is by far and away the least finicky. I just put One Drop (:wink:) on a shielded bearing, spin, and dab off the excess, and I never have any issues. I’ve even gone back for the second drop on occasion when I feel like it didn’t quite get enough, and I still haven’t had any issues with V4M making my throws responsive. I’ve done a full drop on an unshielding bearing as well as the drop on the tip of a needle method as well, and V4M always works.

2 Likes

One drop™

Yes. I’ve done it. The time it takes just depends. Some bearings seem to never go 100% unresponsive after I lube em.

But the real question I think is, is it worth it to play through it if you just want a 100% unresponsive yoyo? I don’t have an answer. But it used to be an idea touted fairly regularly back in the day that breaking a bearing in was superior to cleaning it in the long run…

2 Likes

I’m still throwing the one yo-yo that’s partially responsive and… still responsive. Haven’t seen much change. I’m going with @EOS44 who said “days” (of casual play, or all-day hardcore) to get this worked out!

2 Likes

It’s only a HARDCORE PINWHEEL if it lasts for 4 hours or longer.

2 Likes

https://gph.is/g/Z8p5GQ0

It takes at least a few months from my experience.

2 Likes

It is dependent on how much “extra” lubricant is put into the bearing. Could be a few minutes, could be a few hours. I used to always play my unreposnives with extra lube in the bearing, keeping them ever so slightly responsive.

3 Likes

Das my boiiiii

2 Likes

I bet Ayumu Kasuga plays through an overlubed bearing in one throw since he throws so hard lol.

1 Like

@andy569 @NoT_ATHROWER The time Iori Yamaki freaking broke a string in the middle of WYYC2014 Semifinals LOL.

Here’s another angle of the same moment, if anyone wondered what happened to that airborne yoyo. I wonder how did he not got disqualified for that, that could have been a tragedy.

https://imgur.com/Oz8Vtuq

6 Likes

He did get a -5 CUT that dropped him from 6th to 10th place in semis. :scream:

LOL where did it even go??

In the second gif it shows that the yoyo hit the background curtain of the stage, dropped on the floor and rolled out of stage lol.

1 Like