Have you ever "played through" a responsive, over-lubed bearing?

I use the HYPERSPIN™ bearing lube technique, which works great, but every now and then I’ll go back to a yo-yo and it is a little responsive.

At that point I just re-spin out the bearing at high speed with compressed air, sometimes I have to lube and spin, but that always fixes it.

But I wonder – how long would it take to play with an over-lubed responsive bearing before it becomes properly unresponsive again? I’ve tried playing through the responsiveness for an hour or so, doing lots of EXXXTREME PINWHEELS and hard sleepers to really “exercise” the bearing… but it never seems to make a dent!

Have any of you ever played long enough with a responsive, over-lubed bearing to the point that it “fixed itself” and became unresponsive again? Is this possible? How long does it take? I am guessing days, if not longer!

Yes, I know, the rational thing to do is clean the bearing or re-lube it properly. But I’m curious, if you had to play through… how long would it take? :thinking:

1 Like

I feel like this shouldn’t take hours if we’re just talking overlubing with thin lube. We’re not talking about playing through a bearing that was plastered with thick lube right?

3 Likes

Reminds me of this…

–edit–
lol there’s probably a bunch of people on this forum that have no idea what this even is! :stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes

Nope, just “two drops” of thin lube instead of “one teeeeny tiiiny magical sprite like drop delivered via precision injection”.

1 Like

I’ll test tomorrow. I still don’t think it should take hours. I’ve done one full drop before and I don’t think it took that long to clear out. That was a long time ago though so idk

3 Likes

roughly about 20 mins of rock the baby’s

3 Likes

Must be some aggressive rocking

4 Likes

an uncomfortable amount of time.

I have lots of experience

1 Like

Like how long, estimate in hours?

2 Likes

It depends on how much you put. The lube bottles I had were sometimes really quick to drop so I usually got the full thing on one side, then I flipped it and got another drop on the other side.
Intense play usually wears it in within an hour.

It depends tho. Some people throw harder and some yoyos are better at reaching higher rpm values.

2 Likes

Define “intense play”? Are there specific things to do other than hard throws?

1 Like

I definitely did this alot when I first started throwing. I never really paid attention to how long it takes. It is t really to long though. Sometimes giving it a good amount of play time and then it letting rest. The next day or so later it will play unresponsive. Hardcore pinwheels(Lol) and anything gyroscopic will help.

3 Likes

Also, lube can get stuck and dislodged after you ahve “played through” it. I never trust a lubed yoyo to be unresponsive for the first 3 days after I applied the lube.

I think 1 hour is a generous estimate, normally after 20-30 hard throws, its pretty much unresponsive, but its a trap! put it down for 5 minutes and come back and the thing is responsive again.

It is probably “safer” to say one can play through a lubed yoyo after a course of 3-5 sessions of 30 hard throws of extreme pinwheel and gyroflop over the course of 3 days. Or you can just clean it again, apply half a drop, spin soak out with paper tower etc, and do 10 hard throws.

2 Likes

I have done this, and I’ve never made it through playing it out. If I overlubed I tend to do the compressed air trick as learned from @codinghorror

2 Likes

Just 2 drops like coding replied? or a flooded bearing?

I flooded a bearing with thinlube to try on a deepstate, that thing is never going to get “played through”.

Edit: in case anyone wondered, nothing cool came out of a thin lube flooded deep state, still too unresponsive to loop. So its basically a super unpredictable and snaggy yoyo.

3 Likes

It’s usually a weird situation where I lubed a yoyo, it played fine for a few days, then maybe I didn’t pick up that particular yoyo for a few days to a week. Then, when I pick it up again it plays semi-responsive (enough to tug return if it’s spinning fast enough).

1 Like

Yes - Frank’s 8-ball KK’s and more recently CTX often had a little too much lube from manufacture. Played them until they worked or I cleaned them, acetone or IPA. Simple.

And here’s the coshh forms for both so you can ignite the toxicology discussions again.

1 Like

Yes! Exactly! I have a few bruised knuckles too many to try and “play through” an over lubed bearing anymore.

Between this, and having dinged a few yoyos because i forget how long the string was, i now always do a test throw with hands held high, and a few soft tugs to test response when first picking up a throw.

2 Likes

I have the exact opposite problem. How can I keep bearings properly responsive for the longest time? Thick grease is the best I’ve come up with. Or about 10 drops of Brain Lube. :grin:

4 Likes

It always takes a good day or so to wear in thin lube for me. A single drop of thin lube and all my YoYos become knuckle busters. I dread lubing them but they get so quiet and smooth after.