Have you ever had a yoyo apprentice that stuck with it?

Nice to read that story, I felt happiness even miles and miles away. :relaxed:

5 Likes

Last night my apprentice (started last September) was outside so we were throwing for an hour and a half. I brought out a bunch of yoyos he never saw before and so he could try them. His skill level has greatly increased and I would say we are about even. We each have some elements that neither of saw so it was neat to share and learn. It was so fun to be getting into flows with another person. We both missed mounts and got knots and it no longer bothers me because hey, if you don’t experience misses and knots you’re probably not pushing yourself or practicing enough.

9 Likes

I’m wondering that if would be fun to schedule a throw time at Meets, Zoom, or anyother, just to throw some yoyos and have fun… Homeoffice and videocall are now part of who I am… :dizzy_face:

5 Likes

I’ve never used those things before. I enjoyed not having a screen in front of me or having one nearby and just throwing with another person. To me it is a big turn off to include cameras, phones, computers, etc.

6 Likes

Ngl before I started to yoyo I was on my phone WAY TO MUCH. Yoyoing has changed that. And having someone help you in person is so much better.

8 Likes

This is great! Now that it’s getting nicer out you should deff have some more outdoor jam sessions. Good job Chris!

6 Likes

I agree…in terms…

Unfortunately for us, Covid still strong enought, so the home office reality came to stay a little longer, which sucks, I used to work in the streets, inside the customer and potential partners… Now the screen dictate the rules…

But on the other side, I wouldn’t met you guys if wasn’t the tech, those screens, this social tech cyber-reality, that is possible world wide, yet, same screen that lock me up at home.

Crazy times, but maybe good times too, that’s why I came back to yoyoing…

6 Likes

I miss the days when it was possible to have best of both worlds: go outside and meet with people and then come home and talk on forums and binge YouTube. It sucks that the balance between digital and real life was lost during the pandemic, but I’m glad we can at least chat on the forums.

7 Likes

I was just outside throwing with my apprentice / yoyo buddy for maybe two hours. I let him try a bunch of newish and Mystery Box yoyos and debuted my new frontstyle combo for him. I am extremely self-conscious throwing around anyone but we both got into a groove and it was a great confidence booster to run through my new combo and have him ask me to repeat certain elements so he could see what I was doing more clearly. He’s getting really good and I am proud of his progress.

9 Likes

I’m trying to stick with it and do more than just collect, but it’s really easy to get discouraged

7 Likes

I no longer consider him my apprentice as that sounds like I am superior. We are throwers on the same journey. We now throw together outside 2x a week. I never, ever thought I’d make a friend to throw with let alone in the apartment next to mine. If his mom did not see me with a yoyo this would have never happened. It’s pretty neat to learn a new element (very difficult for me) and to have someone to show it to in person. Next month will be his one year of throwing anniversary!

11 Likes

My little cousin, though at this point we’re more like equals. He competes regularly in Scales amateur, though honestly he’s nearly pro at this point.

8 Likes

Do you live near each other? My Throw Friend has a friend that may be the next one in line. He can bind and will soon be an optomologist. I gave my friend 2 yoyos to give him that can be set up for resp. and un. I’ve never met him yet but hopefully this summer if it works out the 3 of us can throw together.

7 Likes

Yeah we live near each other. We see each other about once a month.

4 Likes

Last week I gave him a counterweight. We were throwing last night and he came out with a counterweight on his Replay Pro and did a little 5a for me. He was also hitting double or nothing quite often with his Recess First Base. He showed me Andre’s video for the Magic Drop element which inspired me to adapt it for my frontstyle which I now am and it has me totally stoked. Having an in-person yoyo buddy is friggin’ awesome!

6 Likes

I was just outside with my quickly-advancing apprentice who now has his own apprentice who is grasping things at a nice pace and who gives me the impresssion that this will be a lifetime hobby for him. Three guys all throwing together. It was fantastic. I ripped through a few frontstyle combos successfully and very smooth and to hear my apprentice say “that was some REALLY good flow” made me feel really good because I am very self-conscious about throwing in front of other people. I did the combos when I did not know they were watching. I don’t want to make the post about me but rather to say how cool it is to see people learn and progress and enjoy the hobby and to have in-person yoyo buddies.

8 Likes

I know I’ve shared this pic and some of you know I’ve been giving out engraved YYF legend to my patients. So last week one patient came in and showed me his smooth Rock the Cradel. Then he tells me "I MUST LEARN THAT FLOP MOVE YOU DO! " i was honored and told him it will probably take him a few months to get there and i demoed it, and gave him the yye and yyt tutorial links, i also gifted him a brand new FH zero in the package (he can work on some 5A while he’s at it). I suggested he go in order of the tutorials… no one listens to me. This morning at 1AM he sent me this video! Almost 3 weeks of throwing! We have a fiend on our hands!

Question for any fixed expert can you gyro flop a fixed axel?

Edit. I asked @edhaponik the gyroscope Q on FB and he posted a demo. I’ll say that is just awesome! GyroFlop and SpiritBomb on a fixed wooden yoyo!

7 Likes

Dude I’m so excited to see him land a gyro flop!! It makes me really happy to hear that you could share this hobby and that your patient landed this trick. So cool.

2 Likes