Have you ever had a yo-yo stolen?

Have you ever had your yo-yo stolen?
I am participating in a big tournament like WYYC for the first time and I am worried that my yo-yo will be stolen.
So I am thinking of bringing a yo-yo that is not too expensive.
I’d like to know what you guys think.) Also, I would like to know what to watch out for in order to avoid having it stolen!

I will post a wyyc report on the forum if there is demand for it! Let me know if there’s anything else you’d like to see, like merchandising, etc. (I can only tell you through pictures…)

7 Likes

Tie the string on your finger and don’t take it off until you get home. Also try to relax.

13 Likes

Thank you for your reply. I certainly don’t have to worry about it being stolen if I keep the string on my finger all the time. I will make sure to put the yo-yo away in my bag as soon as I am done using it.

4 Likes

I have never had a yoyo stolen. Initially I had the concern of it being stolen but anyone who would know that my yoyo’s are worth anything would already have better yoyo’s.

5 Likes

The yoyo community is always watching out for each other so you don’t have to worry much.

12 Likes

I think more people loose their yoyos at these events because they misplace them trying to do other task like eating, bathroom breaks and socializing. Like @Grendel said

8 Likes

Thanks for your reply.
I will try to always take my yo-yo with me when I move so I don’t misplace it.

@yoyojoe I’ll try not to worry too much and have fun. thank you.
@MarioMaker17 Yo-yo players are a little scary because they know the value of yo-yos. I’ve never done it, but I’m sure it would fetch a hefty price.

2 Likes

I have my sister a yo-yo she put it in her bag and then she left said bag on bench and the bag was stolen. Does that count as getting your yoyo stolen if it was by proxy? I’m positive that yoyo was tossed in the trash I doubt the folks that stole it are using it but if they are I hope they enjoy it at least,

Same week my wife’s phone got stolen out of her cart while shopping. That one was annoying cause the iPhone has find my and is most likely a brick now that it’s reported stolen so no one gets the thing.

Ohh well moral of story people suck. Pay attention to your surroundings and don’t leave stuff unattended

4 Likes

Only been to one yoyo event but I’ve been to countless Magic the Gathering tournaments back in the day and never had anything stolen because even though I am really bad at keeping track of stuff, I follow two rules when I’m at events with high-ticket small collectibles.

First rule is the bag containing my stuff never leaves my person. Not just “always in sight” but literally with me. If I set it on the floor I am wrapping a strap round my leg.

Second rule is one thing out at a time, last thing out goes back in before I take out anything else. This is to just keep me from losing things by putting them on a table or something. If something doesn’t go back in its home I WILL lose track of it! :joy:

Most of all have fun! Most people are honest but you never know and there’s no way of knowing so I just do this for peace of mind. I wouldn’t sweat it too much, you’ll have a good time!

6 Likes

That’s pretty much what I do from when I was in school, I use a backpack all time of my life is literally a part of me like a ninja turtle shell.
Not only for yoyo but in general life, if i sit down I put a strap on my leg, in the underground I take it down with the strap on one hand, I am so used to have it that if i go downstairs to throw the bin I feel naked without lmao
Same thing even if i had a drink too much and i am in a busy pub I always have the mind to keep the bag safe, I never lost anything and never get stolen or forgotten something, its something that require a second and then I can take my mind off.
I am very sure Worlds are more than safe but to avoid to forgot something always use a little bag and never take it out or if you do wrap it around your leg/hand.

6 Likes

It was kinda nuts when I went to Nats in 2022 after getting back into throwing, I was surprised to see how many kids (even people my age in their 20s) just left their cases opened and completely unattended outside of the main hall, full of yoyos. Even this year, I’d leave the hall and walk through the foyer to use the bathroom and there were just like, 10+ yoyo cases, sitting out open and full of throws. There wasn’t anything insane in any of them, mostly filled with a bunch of $50 or less YYF monometals, but still… they got a lot more balls than I have. Shows how trusting the yoyo community is I guess, but I still kept mine on me at all times lol

7 Likes

Tbh looking at the community in the forum or Instagram I will have no issue to leave my case there open and available to try, most I risk are some dings in the yoyos (which are already dinged :rofl:) but looking at the community I feel 99% safe even with strangers (as someone said strangers are friends you havent met yet), the bad apples in the community are seriously an incredibly small and low percentage

7 Likes