Harrison Hurrican Chiks "Surprise Accident"

Not worked up at all. I’m making or losing any money here. I’m just bringing it to attention and letting my inner conspiracy theorist do te talking. If you don’t like it your welcome to not read the thread.

Not duplicating colourways can sometimes be a courtesy. But you cannot copyright such a thing. I saw the Chik listing when I ordered my purple one, and it originally said something like, “Silver with dark and light blue splash” as the colourway description.

Whether he chose to switch to CLYW’s name for the colourway under pressure or by courtesy is irrelevant. I’m willing to bet it was mentioned by somebody (maybe Chris, maybe not) and Andre said, “Oh, you’re right… OK, I’ll update the name…” I highly doubt there was any sort of real duress beyond bringing it to his attention.

The yoyo community is full of courteous and respectful people!

I highly doubt they just changed the name. Putting his name on te colorway automatically would entitle Harrison or CLYW some type of royalties. I’m so sure YYE loves losing money by giving other people royalties by using a colorway associated with other companies

That wasn’t my point; what you say is possibly and even probably true. Just extend what I already said and it all still fits. My point is that I’m sure it was a courtesy based on something being mentioned, rather than a full-on “threat” of any sort. You think Andre would be upset about supporting Harrison in some way? Doubtful. :wink:

Not reproducing a colorway is all about respect. Take 28 Stories for example. We all associate it with CLYW. While they can’t copyright it other companies tend to leave it alone; it has become so synonymous with CLYW and that it also has a charitable aspect of having some of the proceeds of the yo-yos with that colorway donated to a good cause.

Now, as said this was a mistake on YYE’s part and it seems like some are reading a little much into it. I doubt there was any demanding of any kind. I am betting when it was finally shown off someone pointed out that the colorway exists and is used for a certain individual. Once realized Andre gave a call and all was good.

Also, keep in mind that this colorway is unique in that it is named for a specific player. Nothing would have needed to be said if this was the Hulk Smash or Dragonslayer colorways but since this is the Harrison colorway, it is also good to respect the player.

I bet Harrison got a couple Chiks and thats probably it.

Well, I think we can all agree this is going to be the first and last run of Harrison Hurricane Chiks, so we should all buy one. Wasn’t planning on it, but I may get one now.

Maybe this was all a publicity stunt… Look how much interest has been generated in this thread alone.

Yeah this is probably a forgone conclusion so definitely pull the trigger on that purchase. Any excuse to add a Chik to your collection is a good thing, it is a damn fine yo-yo. :slight_smile:

It just happened - when we ordered custom CHIK awhile back I decided a clear with dark blue and light blue SPLASH would look awesome! (Apparently so did CLYW - haha) and I didn’t realize until we got them in that it matched Harrison’s special colorway.

We didn’t have to necessarily name it after Harrison… But Harrison is one of my favorite up and coming players and I wanted to honor him and the color they had selected to be his. We mentioned it to CLYW and OneDrop. Both were cool with it - so we did it and I offered Harrison a royalty on them.

Complete accident on my part that I wanted to make right by ensuring that Harrison’s color remained special to him. This was nothing that OneDrop or CLYW asked me to do. I simply did it because I felt it was what was right to do. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

You clearly are not a good business person. You should always care about your business partners and provide them with what you think is right. If this is Harrisson’s colorway on CLYW, it makes a lot of sense to acknowledge that and share the love with your partners, it only strengthens the bonds and nice gestures are always reciprocated in business. It’s not always about making $5 dollars more on each yoyo right now, it’s much better to build a long lasting business relationship with everyone involved.

2 Likes

Andre rocks! You guys with your crazy conspiracies :slight_smile: The truth is always much more mundane and benign than you guys seem to think haha

2 Likes

So did Harrison get a free Chik out of the deal ? :wink:

I believe so:

But CLYW is a canadian company do their copyrights matter to the US i know a lot of countries (Japan and China come to mind) are allowed to ignore copyrights from other countries

Beats me, but in this case it doesn’t actually matter. You cannot copyright a colourway.

Extending royalties to Harrison is out of respect for him and CLYW and out of a willingness to support a talented and enthusiastic young man.

I just noticed…The One Drop Chik, Y-Factor, 54, Code 2 Nautilus, and Yelets come in this colorway O_O

Your probably thinking of the Pollok colorway clear with black an light blue splash.