GTR-JS vs YYF IQ

Looking for my next bi metal. I currently have a Paladin, an Exia, and a Akita. I’ve narrowed it down to these two. And insight and opinions are welcome.

• Duncan GTR-JS
  • Yoyofactory IQ

0 voters

3 Likes

These are my first two recommendations to people as far as bimetals go, so great choices! Couldn’t have narrowed it down better myself. I own both, and absolutely love both to death.

The GTR-JS is my favorite of the two (and possibly my favorite performance yoyo of all time), but the IQ is the perfect contrast to it. They’re two of the best yoyos you can get, just very different in a lot of ways. Think of the GTR-JS as a Ferrari or some other supercar. It’ll shine whether you’re on the race track, or if you’re on an open stretch of road and want to put the pedal to the metal and just effing GO. It’s light but TOTALLY controllable, which I love. It’ll go rippin’ fast and stay stable and on its plane the whole time. The hand feel is great and there aren’t any uncomfortable angles or painful catches like some other bimetals can have.

Think of the IQ as a Rolls Royce, Bentley or nice Benz. Sure, it can go fast, but it’s the perfect choice to take out on the weekend and cruise around in (and look good while you’re doing it). It’s powerful, yet controlled, and its presence can be felt on the string. Not to say it feels heavy or anything - it really doesn’t, but taking things at a comfortable pace just feels fantastic while using it. It’s wide like your Akita and comfortable like your Exia. It’s a unique feel but is something I gravitate towards constantly. I guess what I’m trying to say is that it’s a very “goldilocks” feeling yoyo, since it feels just right.

Hate to be the guy that says “wHy NoT bOtH” but honestly… if I could only have two bimetals it’d be these two. I feel like they’re both great in all the ways a yoyo should be, but a perfect contrast to one another in terms of feel. It really is nice having both to switch back and forth between. At the end of the day though… if you want a fast performance machine, get a GTR-JS. If you want a comfy “do it all” goldilocks type yoyo, get an IQ. I’ll be voting for a JS though since it is my personal favorite of the two. I promise you cannot go wrong either way you choose - you’ll love them both!

10 Likes

OOOF this is a hard one . I feel like the GTR-JS is incredible but I am also a fan of the IQ. I would give a slight edge to GTR-JS . IQ plays a bit lighter and sometimes can lose some spin if you get sloppy.

2 Likes

Poll is tied! Kinda saw that coming. Thank you for the comparisons Spence and Chris. Sounds like I can’t go wrong either way. I do wish the GTR-JS had a few more color options.

2 Likes

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who voted. I placed an order for a black on black IQ today. It’s shape is something I dont have in my collection, and I actually don’t currently own any all black throws either. Will give a comparison to my other 3 bimetals soon.

9 Likes

Glad you picked one as that’s a tough poll! I’ve always wanted a GTR, but wound up with only an iQ. I liked it so much that I picked up a second—a black on black to go with my black on silver. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed at all! I agree with the above in it really is a Goldilocks performer. I haven’t really picked up anything else except my Speedaholic since getting it. Love to hear your thoughts after you’ve had it for a bit.

2 Likes

Yes it would be cool if they made more color options for gtr series