Good first unresponsive?

Okay I can bind like 9 out of 10 times. I’m still kind of timid about throwing the yo after I bind though… I’ve been hit far too many times with my Velocity 2 lol. I don’t think I can get over that fear with my V2 though since the string is always getting caught between the bearing and the side of the yoyo. I was thinking a Legacy. Is that a good idea? Or are there better ones for around the same price?

Thanks for any help in advance!

I don’t completely get what you’re saying.

Do you already have an unresponsive yoyo? The “V2”, which I am assuming is a PGM, is unresponsive.

If you’re thinking about the YoYoJam (YYJ) line, I’d go for the DM over the Legacy. You can get more out of it. There’s also plenty of throws by YoYoFactory (YYF) like the Grind Machine or possibly even the Dv888 (a little pricier though). What’s your playing level by the way?

V2 = Velocity 2.

I’ve heard that the DM snags a lot. Is that true?

And I guess I’d be called an intermediate… I can do all of the tricks in the intermediate videos featured on this site and like one of the advanced.

The Velocity should be fine at this point in time for you. The reason the yoyo snags is because the loop that you make for the bind is too big and it snags onto the yoyo. To adjust this, just make the loop smaller. At first, the yoyo may not bind 100% of the time but as you get better, the yoyo will start to bind at smaller loops and will snag less if bound (if thats the past tense for bind) right. Also, have you adjusted your velocity’s response to the maximum unresponsiveness?

As to answer your DM question, some people argue that hybrid responses snag more but I personally think that they snag equally if you bind right.

If you really would like to get another yoyo, could you answer these questions? (I know some were already answered but it’s easier to see the whole preference.

1. What size do you prefer? (Big, small, medium, etc)
  2. What shape do you prefer? (Be specific: Round Butterfly, Flat Rims, pointy shape, H-Shape)
  3. What response do you prefer? (Silicone, O-Ring, Hybrid, Pad, etc)
  4. Do you like to mod/maintain it?
  5. Does color matter?
  6. How does your style relate to the yoyo? (What kind of tricks do you like to do?)
  7. What is your price range?
  8. What is your skill level?

Other than these questions, I would recommend the New Breed, Dark Magic or Atmosphere if you like Full Sized yoyos at a low price ~$40

As for a better suggestion, I ask you to answer the questions above.

At first I did have it to the max unresponsive but then it snagged wayyy more and it was nearly impossible for me to bind.

1. What size do you prefer? I prefer a bigger yo-yo. Thats the main reason I don’t like the velocity (other than the snagging but I guess thats my skill lvl =P)
  2. What shape do you prefer? I’m not to experienced with different yo-yo’s but I think I’d prefer the round butter-fly (Why I was asking about the Legacy/DM)
  3. What response do you prefer? I don’t even know at this point. I’ve only been throwing for about 3 weeks. My only experience has been with the starburst on the Velocity.
  4. Do you like to mod/maintain it? I haven’t even tried yet. I know how to clean a bearing and change the string and what not but other than that, I’m clueless. I don’t even really know how to tell when it’s time to clean the bearing.
  5. Does color matter? Not really… I mean I’d prefer if it was red, black, or white. Any mix of those colors would be awesome but I would take any color as long as it played good.
  6. How does your style relate to the yoyo? Definitely string tricks at this point. My favorite tricks are split the atom, mach 5, or double or nothing.
  7. What is your price range? 20-40$
  8. What is your skill level? I would say I’m an intermediate. I can do all the intermediate tricks featured on this site plus a few advanced (Wrist mount, drop-in-the-bucket, ect). When I try to do something like the matrix with my Velocity it kind of dies halfway through. I’ve just kind of attributed that to the fact that the response is really high. Im not sure though.

Thank you very much for you’re help =)

lets see you have the legacy,plastic grind machine, and the die nasty you can choose any of those or if you want a metal rimmed maybe a dm or the atmosphere

The snagging could be due to the way you bind. Are you making a large loop? (I just want to help)

Also, what weight do you prefer?

If you like heavy yoyos and dead unresponsiveness, I would look into the New Breed, Legacy or Atmosphere.

If you like heavy yoyos and slightly adjustable unresponsiveness (still responsive but easier to bind for your level). I suggest the Dark Magic.

Those are the only yoyos that seem to fit your price and preferences.

I personally think that with your level of binding, the Dark Magic is best for you. But if you want to REALLY practice your binds and not be fully able to bind for a few days on the dead unresponsive yoyos, I would say the New Breed.

Please note that all of these yoyos will get you to any level you want.

Also, it is time to clean the bearing if it starts getting responsive even with the proper amount of thin lube. (Too much will make it responsive) I would suggest cleaning your bearing every 3 to 5 months. Just note that the more you clean your bearing, the less life it has. It’s a trade off between performance and longevity of the bearing. (Really, if you clean it every 3 to 5 months, the bearing will last you long enough for it’s money’s worth and more.

Mark

If you want a cheaper version you can always get a legacy. It’s red, black, and white. Same with a DM. I would suggest DM or legacy, depending on the amount of cash you want to spend.

I’d like it to be heavier than the Velocity lol. When I’m throwing the v2 it feels like nothing is in my hand… Kinda a weird feeling. Hard to explain.

With my binds I try to make the loop as close to the yoyo as possible, then throw it into the gap and pull at the same time.

I think I’ll go with the DM… I’d still like to be able to make it responsive once I get frusterated enough with binds to wanna play responsive for a while =P. I’ll buy a dead unresponsive after I get good enough.

My DM’s dead unresponsive. All I did was silicone.

Guess I’ll buy some thick lube too just in case =P