Good camera for YoYo'ing Recommendations

Hello everyone! I’m looking into getting a camera so I can shoot some yoyo’ing videos, and preferably one with 60fps or higher at 720p. I may eventually do some tutorials, but it’ll probably be just monitoring progress, and quick combos for now. I am most likely going to shoot indoors more than outdoors, but I may do a mixture of both, so I would like something that works well in low lighting, or has a good flash/light built in. Obviously, I don’t want a camera where the picture quality is going to be blurry, and looks like I shot it using a toaster. My budget is around $250. If I can spend less, then great! What do you guys recommend for my budget? Also, do you have any video samples, say for instance, your own youtube videos that you shot with the camera you could link on here. Thanks

I just use one I got from Dollar General.My YouTube channel is turtleyo11

I use a goprohero2. Amazing! But it just above the 250.00 range.

Grab yourself a Nikon L120 it is 720p and is 60 fps. Perfect

I found the review below from amazon. So, I think I’ll look for a different model, or maybe look up the Panasonic he was talking about, thanks though, any other recommendations?

I just use my Good ol fashion iPhone 4.
Of course Here’s my problem
My 12 Megapixle camera Whenever I input it to my PC it comes out at .mov
Does anyone know how to convert it to Avi?

Here is a youtube video I found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6CKsfWTogA also a comment on the video said this:

If you want something that is easy to use and cheap check out the Kodak ZX5 Playsport. The little things packs a great picture - it can do 1080p - but it shines at 720p @ 60 fps. Takes an SD card, mp4 format, has a share function - tripod mountable (its the size of a cell phone) and great battery life. Not that you’ll need this for yo yo - but it’s also waterproof up to 10ft - take it in the pool, snorkeling, whatever…

Don’t underestimate this little guy… retail is like $150 - amazon is notorious for dropping it to $99.99 all the time, in December it was as low as $80 on a gold box deal. Target puts it on sale quite a bit, too.

1 Like

has anyone tried a Flip Video Camera? I was thinking about getting one

just get a high def camera. 1080p is all you need.

Not a fan of the flip, has it’s own format which means converting it. It will upload to youtube through it’s software. It’s easier with something that uses standard mp4

Flip also doesn’t exist anymore, Cisco bought them out and shelved the products.

The Canon powershots are great, they have a super slow mo video mode, it’s only 320x240 max resolution but it’s still really cool 1/8th speed video.  The HD video is superb uncompressed, and if you only want internet videos you don’t even really need to shoot it in HD.  You’ll also have a great still camera to use, which won’t be the case if you buy a gopro or camcorder.
Here’s a sample (compressed) from the 310 HS.  If you use Florescent lighting it will flickr like this.
http://youtu.be/eQply19JjP0 I know this doesn’t look the sharpest because it’s compressed…the background is also slightly out of focus becuase the yoyo IS in focus.

I have been managing a retail camera store for over 2 years now, and I’ve been shooting since 1995, so I do have some background in this, but mainly still photography.

Dave

Try a Canon Rebel t3i. 720p. iPhone 4 is what I use, from iMovie it uplpads to YouTube in 1080p. GoPro Hero II HD is also good, and 1080p, but it’s a headcam do in order to use it as a regular camera you would have to buy an $80 screen for it. So in total it would be around $380. It’s a really good camera though.

I need something that has at least 720p, I can’t use 240p, no matter how “decent” it looks.

I have an old flip ultra hd that I’m gonna sell. Since I have a 4s that does 1080p, I don’t really need it anymore.

@ed:
pazera free MOV to AVI converter is what I use to convert files from .mov to .avi

Ya i totally understand, and for the record it does 1080p @ 30/24 and 480p @ 120fps but unfortunately not 60fps at any HD mode. A rebel t2i or t3i will give you the frame rates you want, and would be excellent for image quality, but it’s not really in your budget. Consider the Wingman HD, it’s like a gopro but it’s cheaper and has an LCD screen, but still has all the same specs and durability.

hope this helps

Do you know if the Wingman HD has a decent amount of light? I’ll be indoors for most of my filming. If it has a light built into it, that would be nice, if not are there any external camera lights I can buy for pretty cheap? Also, I checked out the Kodak Playsport Zx5, and for outdoors, it looks amazing, but indoors is a totally different story from what I’ve read. I just want something that will work indoors in low lighting.

ZX5 does suffer a little inside, just turn some lights on. Anytime you’re filming in low light and fast vacation, you’ll get grain. Get some lights pointing at you and you’re set. Besides you don’t was dark tutorial vids

Yeah, I looked up the wingman hd, and it looks meh, I watched a review on it. Also, all of the video camera’s I have seen in the $200-250 range don’t look as good as the Kodak Zx5. Also, even with decent lighting it looks pretty darn good, and I figure, I’ll just have to buy another lamp if I want good lighting for indoor shooting, it’s not big deal. I’ve seen a bunch of different videos with the Zx5, and even found it on Amazon right now for around $124, and some refurbished ones for $84.99. So, I think this will be the camera I end up getting, so thanks you everyone for your input, Turtle specifically for recommending the Zx5. Great choice Turtle, and thanks again to everyone.

Have fun with it… look forward to seeing what you shoot with ir