Glow in the dark plastic - different structural qualities?

So, I’ve been pretty into the glow YYF Protostar, but I’m well aware of the yoyo’s infamous structural flaws. I’ve always wondered, does glow in the dark plastic posses different structural qualities than solid ones? Would it crack easier? More dense? less dense? Thanks.

3 Likes

Presumably it is the regular plastic with some kind of additive mixed in (plastics are poured into molds, basically) that makes it glowy?

Anyone know?

1 Like

All plastics are scientifically developed to be strongest in their purest form. For example polycarbonate(pc) is strongest in it’s purest form “clear”. Once any colorant is added the strength is reduced. Another factor that reduces integrity is “regrind” (grinding up parts that didn’t meet the production standards) and adding them back into the raw base material. There are charts that dictate the allowable “regrind” but again, anything other than the original clear “virgin” material will have measurable inferiority to the original material. Plastics are in a constant evolutionary state of development and we can already see materials that are infinitely recyclable…but the current selection of infinitely recyclable plastics are not structurally strong enough for yoyos.

Glow material or most other ingredients added to a pure formula would logically/scientifically have various detrimental effects relating to the structural integrity of the plastic.

16 Likes

Glow makes everything better.

5 Likes

My experience is from playing pickleball (like paddle tennis with plastic balls that have holes in them). The most popular brand of outdoor ball is made from hard plastic and it breaks frequently. The color makes a big difference in the durability. The brightly colored neon balls break Much quicker, and the manufacturer has said the dye weakens them. The white plastic balls last the longest.

2 Likes

No idea about how it affects durability but I want more glow in the dark yoyos.

Glow hard or go home

2 Likes

That’s actually really fascinating, it contradicts what I’d always thought. whenever me & my friends would buy polycarbonate yoyos we’d buy solids because intuition tells me translucent = more break-y.

So I’m going to consider that from now on, I now assume that glow plastic doesn’t differ from other solid dyed plastics when it comes to structure.

On that note though, solids would probably still be better than the multi color plastics in terms of durability. Less colors = less additives? Not sure though

1 Like