Giveaway question

Hi folks.

I have a nice non-resposive Magic Yoyo which I don’t use. It’s the Silencer. It looks amazing and is actually quite a good throw. But I have others I like a lot more so I never use it.

There are young people on this forum who can’t afford Yoyos and I’d like to support them and sort of give back to the community by giving this yoyo to somebody who could get some fun out of it.

How would you suggest I find a person who could use this yoyo? I think the buy/trade/sell forum is not the best place because this topic could cause a lot of discussion and that forum tries to stay focused on the trades. They also mention in the rules that the buy/trade forum is not the place to ask for free stuff.

I’m interested to know your thoughts.

1 Like

I don’t really know how you can guarantee that the person you give the yoyo to is a beginner. For example, I have a person that I know would enjoy this yoyo, but how could you know for sure that I wouldn’t keep it for myself?
I actually do have someone that would love it, but, of course, I have no proof.

1 Like

you could lurk the “Looking for Help/Recommendation” forum until you see someone asking for help choosing a first unresponsive yoyo… then you can surprise them with a freebe!

1 Like

My experience teaches me this:

For the inexpensive items, hold onto them.

At some point in time, someone will come into your life who will be interested. A friend. A child of a friend. A cousin. A grandparent. Some random person you pass at work daily but never really talked to until the day they stop you to say “I’ve been wanting to ask about that yoyo of yours…”

Since you have a few inexpensive ones at home, you will be ready to give them one.

Now, that doesn’t mean your online peeps can’t feel the generosity… but more likely if you’re feeling like you have too many yoyos and one or two of them are beyond that “throwaway” level of value… THEN you might want to find someone with a proven interest in yoyos like a forum member.

3 Likes

Every one of those answers are great advice. I think I’ll “keep it local” and hang on to the yoyo knowing that it’s ready to be deployed so someone I meet as a gift. I already have a Butterfly XT (which is a responsive yoyo with a bearing) which sits in my case ready to give away to somebody who wants to learn yoyo. I think I’ll keep the Silencer for the same reason.

Thank you for the good advice.

1 Like

Good advice right here.

1 Like

Thanks to the OP for asking this question. I was wondering the same thing today.

I’m almost out of giveaways. Been doing a lot of “encouraging new yoyoers” lately, it seems! Been considering grabbing a box of wholesale ONEs on my own dime just to have some to give away. Would prefer OneStars, but yeah… there’s a price difference…

If you want to prevent people from taking advantage of the situation, the safest way is probably ask a yoyo club if they have new players who are enthusiastic but doesn’t seem to be able to afford the yoyos. I’d guess that in first world countries it’s a rare sight, and if someone really does and he/she belongs to a club, chances are someone gave them one already.
Other way of doing it is to let them say something about themselves, like how they started, how they get their current collection, etc, and then if you think they deserve it, give it to them. But if they beg you or tell sob stories for it, don’t, because it only encourages that kind of behavior. Personally I avoid giving away anything to people who beg or tell sob stories. Usually people who need it the most are the ones who work hard or need a long time saving money, and then get excited about the cheap yoyos they’re going to buy with it. You can tell it from their collection and the condition of their yoyos.

and hey if one of the people you give the butterfly to gets really good and wants an unresponsive trade him for the butterfly again and give the butter fly to someone else.