getting laughed at

At first everyone said how stupid yoyoing was! I was the very first person at my middle school to bring a yoyo! lol,I figured out on my own that they make fun of it because the can’t do it ;D! that was about a month ago, now almost all the guys in 6th and 7th are yoyoing at break! ( I am working on 8th as we speak :D)

Hey,

I started yoyoing this time last year (my freshman year) and all 99% of everyone in my high school looked down on yoyoing.
I just ignored them and pressed on.

-speed the time up to idk maybe 4 months.-
I am now getting more attention with my yoyoing skills. now like 70% of the people r hating on my yoyoing

-speed up the time again to now-
I am now well known by everyone in the school as my schools Official Yo-Yo Guy. i can’t walk into any classroom with out half the class knowing who i am. I created amazing connections with teachers and new friendships. I have been asked to perform at now 2 of my school functions (one play back in like november or december and an upcoming comedy night event in april)

i now receive 0% of hating on my yoyoing and 100% of respect for my epic skills.

all in all it just takes time for people to see your talent.
remember our skill is not common so it takes a while for ppl to get use to it

sincerely,
CHHS one and only Official YoYo Guy (Johnny)

Same thing happened to me. Everybody made fun of me then i yoyoed and they were all amazed and the teacher liked it so she had me yoyo in front of the class.And now i am teaching church fun days about yoyos to little kids and in talent shows and now at my school im known as the BEAST

Before i yoyoed, some kids hated my guts. started yoyoing and now they luv me. its hilairius how fickle middleschoolers are. I’m letting people use my DMII… not a good idea… I need a plastic.

amen

Dude I feel ya. I’m 29 and I started throwing again a year ago. I brought it to work and tossed em around on break. I was terrible but I’ve learned many a new tricks since then. I was heckled by my girl, co-workers and friends. It didn’t last long when they saw how committed I was to throwing; that’s when the “ooooos” and “ahhhhhs” came.

Honestly though, I like to think they’re just jealous because they don’t have the sack to do something they enjoy in public. I’ve noticed that many players are very unique individuals in that they will do whatever it is they want to do regardless of how others will view them. How many people can speak publicly without getting embarassed? How many can sing in public without getting embarassed? How many people can dance in public without getting embarassed? The bottom line is everyone has something creatively fun they like to do, but most of them wouldn’t dare let others view them doing it for various reasons.

I for one don’t give a crap. I will do everything I love to do in public. Sure I get embarassed just like everyone else, but I push through the shyness and shine instead. You do the same my brotha. Keep it up.

Just ignore the jerks and keep throwing. Poeple will soon understand that you are serious about yoyoing and your friends will start to respect you.

Last year,in 6th grade, I got ridiculed for yoyoing and for buying a $40 yoyo. Now, all of my school respects me and people (finally) understand why yoyos can cost $100.

I’ve never had too much trouble with people making fun of myself or the hobby. The majority of feedback is positive I think. It’s tough though when it’s people that you’re close to giving you a hard time.

A funny story though. I was throwing while just hanging out with a couple friends on the boardwalk pretty late at night (not something I often do, creepers come out at night, you know), and this group of guys and girls came over and started talking to me and being all like “whoah dude that’s so cool” and stuff. I just casually talked to them while continuing to throw and everything, but after not much time one of my friends came over and was like “hey Kyle, we’d better go…” When we were some distance away, they then proceeded to tell me that it was just the girls talking to me while all the guys were getting a tad irritated, presumably at the fact that the girls were giving me all the attention. I was totally oblivious the whole time, of course, but it gave me a huge laugh when they told me. haha

I would just say that if you’re confident in what you do and how you do it, people will generally support you for it. I’m sure the people making fun of you now will grow to love it… and if they don’t, shun the nonbeliever!

Shuuun…Shuuuuuunnn!!!

Funny story Kyle :slight_smile:

I’ve been throwing a year and and a half… Everyday someone tells me it’s “gay” I say," I’ve heard that for the past year, everyday. You think you saying it will make me stop?"

I was throwing at a robotics competition today. I had 2 yoyos, a DMv1 and a 5star. I had 3 other people interested in them, and by the end of the day, I had them trying to bind the DM.

my fave part of throwing is having others try to bind and they fail epically :stuck_out_tongue:

anyway dont let em bind over concrete!!! even with a string for a looper. they will manage to fail and hurt your throw, more than once

i waited to tell every one once i was pretty could and could do tricks like the matrix only my best friend new i was a fellow thrower at first i got alittle crap especailly about having a 90$ 888x

I throw at work while talking on the phone all the time. My coworkers are always throwing complements my way. They thinks it’s fun. If someone tells you that it’s stupid, they’re just jealous they don’t have the skills. If you believe in retaliation you could always find out what their passions are and berate them for it.