Getting Back Into Yo-yos. Need help

So I was into yo-yoing when I was like 15. I’m 23 now and I want to get back into it. The thing is, I haven’t touched a yo-yo since I was 15 or 16 and I have no idea where to start. I used to know a couple of simple tricks, but these days I don’t even think I could bind. I’m basically starting fresh.

I need a hobby and this is something I can carry in my pocket on my way to class and play around with between lessons (university student). I have a set budget of $40 absolute maximum for anything I might need to get started. I was looking at the DV888 but then I read that metal yo-yos are bad to start with? (I am unclear on why though?) so I was looking at the Firestorm? I don’t know, that’s why I’m here. Teach me, oh wise yo-yo experts!

If you have had experience before metal yoyo should be fine I was the same as you and I started with a metal unresponsive binding is easier than it looks you will get it quick

Yoyofactory Replay Pro. Such a great throw for 16$. It’s even been used to win us nationals last year.

Well I think I want one that’s responsive to start with, but can be made unresponsive once I get binding down. Isn’t the replay pro unresponsive?

Basically (and sorry for the double post) this is where I’m at:
I want a responsive yo-yo that can be made unresponsive once I get the hang of things.
I used to throw but its been nearly a decade, so I’m starting fresh.
I have a budget of $40 max (MAYBE $45 but that’s pushing it)
I have small hands, if that matters.

I was looking at the Firestorm, DV888, C-Force, and MAYBE the Dark Magic II but its pushing my budget. I like that the Firestorm is cheap, I like that the DV888 can be bought in a starter pack, I like that the C-Force is apparently on sale but I know nothing about it. the Dark Magic II seems like it gets recommended a lot, but its outside my budget by a few $

I need input, is all.

I was once in the same boat as you. I ended up with a Dark Magic II.

The responsive/unresponsive flexibility wasn’t worth it. I mean, the DMII is still a great yoyo, but the point is that I didn’t need it to be able to do both.

A better option:

Get a responsive yoyo. I like fun and small, so I recommend the Duncan Mosquito. But that’s just me.

Get any other unresponsive yoyo without worrying about if it can be played responsive. You WILL learn to bind, and it WILL be easier than you’re imagining. Meaning you don’t need it to ever be responsive.

A Mosquito and a Replay Pro can be had for $25 all in.

I think you should save a little bit and get the Dark Magic 2

A first base is what you need.

I actually saw the first base right after I made this thread and I’ve been looking at it all weekend thinking about buying…

Just an update: I ended up getting the First Base AND the Replay Pro. Can’t really go wrong with that combo, the way I see it, and I paid the same amount for both that the Dark Magic would have cost me. So, win-win.

1 Like

Yup! And you can have one of each (responsive/unresponsive)!

I think you made a good call.