Getting Back Into It

Hi everyone, it’s good to be back. I used to throw a bit when I was younger, but I stopped for whatever reason. I’m looking to get back into it but I really don’t know what’s what anymore. Any advice could help.

-I do know how to bind

-I currently play with an 888, a Dark Magic, and a Ywet. I always use the 888 before the other two, and I do prefer the butterfly shape.

-No preference in weight

-Priced under $100

-I usually play more freehand than anything

-No preference in responce

-Don’t care about hubstacks or z stacks

-Not working on any trick in particular

-Grinds aren’t a priority as much

Thanks for reading! I’m exited to get back in the loop.

get a replay pro… its not expensive and it will introduce you into what yoyoing has evolved into since you left.

1 Like

Well that was simple enough. Thanks!

its a yoyo that will stay with you for awhile… the recent nationals winner gentry stein used it to take him to first place…

Okay, thanks. What do I make of all the new brands? Where would one begin building a decent collection?

First base is the way to go.

Its by recess the best plastic.

Basically pretty much everything is good nowadays, even the budget chinese companies. My suggestion is to not build a collection at all. Instead, focus on playing.

That’s pretty awesome. Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it. So basically, if something catches my eye, I probably won’t be disappointed?

Learn to bind and then gets shutter…good luck!

Pretty much. Of course it wouldn’t hurt to take a look in the review section.
If you are to browse the forums for recommendations, you will find that all are recommended, by one of the other. In the end it’s just a matter of personal opinions. What feels the best for me can feel the worst for you. So look for what you like, and for the most part, ignore other peoples opinions.

Thanks for all the information guys. I bought a Surge and a Replay Pro and I’m pretty excited.

you should have alot of fun with those yoyos.

this site is great for tutorial along with another site called rethinkyoyo.

that should be able to get you into some good tricks.

Also find a yoyo competition near you and take part in it or just attend. Its alot of fun and a great way to connect with players in your area and enjoy the community we have.

The two you bought will give you quite a bit of fun.

Once you are ready to add to your collection you should give the One Drop MarkMont Classic a look. It has influences from the older generations of yo-yos while also adding quite a few newer design choices that modern yo-yo companies are adding to their products.

It is currently one of my absolute favorites. It has an excellent combination of comfort and play that make it a must have yo-yo.

Those are good throws.

Too Hot is the best if you’re looking for metal!

There are no bad yo-yos out there these days.

Are these two going to be unresponsive out of the box? Or will I have to mess with then a bit?

They will be unresponsive. Hope you enjoy them.

That almost sounds like a challenge!

Well, I got them and they’re great. They feel really good for freehand, too, which is what I play the most. Thanks for all the feedback guys. This always has been a great community.