Getting a lathe tomorrow!

I’m most likely picking up a lathe tomorrow morning! ;D
It’s not the best lathe ever, but it’s a good start. There’s a guy on craigslist selling a 12x36" harbor freight lathe w/ a grinding wheel and I think 5 or 6 tools for 60 bucks. I just cleaned up my garage so I actually have a work space to put it in, so I figured now was as good a time as any to buy one. I just thought I’d share my excitement with everyone. If all goes well, you can expect to see some “Dynikus originals” in the near future. :wink:

My main reason for getting it is yoyo related of course, but I’ve been watching a lot of videos of wood spinning lately, and it just seems so… mindless, yet entertaining.

Ayyyee cant wait!

$60 is a total steal!

Great. Just don’t get too entranced and mindless and get a body part tangled up in it. :smiley:

KENDAMAS!!!

Damn $60. Nice!!!

Hey, great idea! I never thought about how kendama were made.

Got my lathe! :slight_smile:
The guy was really nice and threw in a shop vac for an extra $20, so I got the lathe, full set of 8 tools, and the vac for $80. The lathe is beyond rusty, but the motor still works great. It just needs a little (okay, maybe a lot) of elbow grease. I’m going to pick up a bench grinder once I get it in good working order as well.
It was an amazing deal, even with the rust. I actually saw a metal lathe a few weeks ago w/ a bench grinder, full set of tools, custom stand, a few chucks, and some other stuff, for $180, but it was long gone by the time I contacted the guy.

Spun my first thing ever today after sharpening my tools a bit! It was just a really rough cut using a poplar dowel, but here it is

that is rough

Rough, yes, but the general shape is correct :smiley: Practice makes perfect!