Looking to purchase a wood lathe for turning yo-yos

Hello everyone! This is something I’ve been heavily thinking about this past year, and I think in 2024 I want to pull the trigger and start learning to turn on a lathe. I’ve been doing a ton of my own research, I must have watched near every video on YouTube as well.

I figured it could be helpful to use this platform to see if anyone has any thoughts, opinions, or recommendations for me. I suppose the main thing is that I’m in the market for a lathe in the mini variety.

Any feedback or discussion on the topic would be appreciated.

10 Likes

Here ya go…
(Primarily a small metal lathe but works for wood))

2 Likes

I saw that post earlier today. It’s really helpful. I was hoping to get a fully built one off the bat so I can focus more on learning to turn, and upgrade as needed. Building the lathe seems a bit daunting at the moment, but I’m sure I’ll warm up to it the more I learn.

4 Likes

Yes that’s pretty much buy the pieces and put it all together. Someone like Lowes or Home depot may have smaller hobby size wood lathes. Rockler stores may also have what you want.
https://www.rockler.com/?sid=V91022&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAnL-sBhBnEiwAJRGigjTblGPsTEFlfqE0wWdCUwGn_MFHf6bBUdK6vztDCj5hkzfogsQVVxoCTAcQAvD_BwE

They have a mini lathe for under $300. (for pieces up to 10 in diam./18 in length)

4 Likes

That one looks perfect size wise for what I was imagining. One of the biggest questions I had was regarding the compatibility between parts. I know for example Harbor Freight stuff doesn’t always play friendly with other brand components.

Another big question was if I should be concerned with motor power and speed variability.

3 Likes

Yes, I have that concern with harbor freight and other lower priced items as well. I bought a house brand grinder at Menards (regional builders supply store). Turned out it doesn’t take standard sized wheels. Only what they sell. The Rockler items I’ve bought seem to be pretty standard but it pays to look at that aspect.

@Glenacius_K

Ten-Four, @Grendel .

The Rockler 10-18 has standard specifications for mini lathes for the spindle thread (1" x 8 tpi), the tailstock (MT2) and toolrest post diameter (1/2"). That one is virtually identical to my first lathe in size and specifications. I would recommend that one.

Don’t get sucked into buying anything cheaper than that. You start getting into aluminium bed territory there which is horrible.

For turning tools, I’d recommend a 1/2" flatend scraper and a 3/8" spindle gouge.

Get yourself an MT2 Jacobs 13mm drill chuck for drilling axle holes on the lathe.

You will also need a bench grinder fit with two white aluminium oxide wheels; one 120 grit and the other 240 grit.

You will need some means of cutting small pieces of wood. You could do it with a bench vise and handsaw, but I’d recommend a 10" bandsaw, don’t go any smaller than that.

The amount of individual little tools and accessories I use is dizzying, but start with that, and you will feel your way forward from there.

13 Likes

Glen is spot on. The only thing I’d recommend differently is getting carbide tools to start. They are generally less expensive and much easier/cheaper to keep sharp. They essentially work like a scraper does. The Rockler mini lathe is definitely a good starting point. There are (I believe) seven Rockler stores in CA. @GnarlyCharlie I suggest you find out which one is closest to you and make a trip there. They will have folks that are experienced turners on staff and stock all the parts Glen mentioned in the store.

Good luck!

9 Likes

Thank you @Glenacius_K and @vegabomb for your input. I’m going to place an order for the Rockler mini. I was expecting to pay more for a lathe so the price is a welcomed surprise.

It looks like it comes with a spur center on the head stock. Should I also order a self centering chuck for it? Most videos i watched with people turning yo-yos, one is being used.

And for the MT2 Jacobs drill chuck is it necessary to purchase an additional live center bit for pressing it up against the wood blank while I’m shaping?

I’m assuming this is for finishing once it’s off the lathe? Is this something that can also be accomplished by holding sandpaper and having the yoyo spinning in the lathe?

1 Like

Looks like there’s a couple within an hour drive of me. I’m definitely going to make a drive out to one on my next day off.

2 Likes

No. That’s for sharpening the high speed steel tools Glen spoke of. It has to be a low speed bench grinder and you also need a jig to hold the tools for sharpening. It’ll run you around $350.00. That’s why I recommend the carbide tools. You don’t need the bench grinder/jig to sharpen them. You just need a diamond card. Rockler has one for $20.00, it’s actually on sale right now for $14.99.

If you go to a Rockler store and tell the folks there what you want to make they will set you up with everything necessary.

3 Likes

Gotcha! Is the primary difference between the high speed steel tools and carbide tools durability?

I’ll run all the bits and pieces by the Rockler staff when I go in. I’ve never been to one before and have always wanted to. My immediate area is blanked in Home Depot’s, and I learned a long time ago that unless you’re making hime improvements it’s best to not ask for recommendations there.

2 Likes

Man I love this community. This thread is the good stuff

5 Likes

This is a good idea. With carbide tools, all you need is flat diamond file to sharpen them. Go 400 grit.

You don’t need a scroll chuck for wood turning yoyos. In fact, that makes it harder. What you should do is get a 3" face plate (it comes with one) and screw a block of wood onto it. Turn the wood down to a conical shape with a dead flat front surface around 2" in diameter. I’ll post a picture of mine later.

I’d recommend getting a cone nosed live centre.

3 Likes

This would be super helpful, thank you. I can visualize what you’re talking about, but a photo always helps. How do you go about centering the blank onto the wood block?

2 Likes

Low speed is ideal, but it doesn’t have to be. You can use an ordinary grinder, you just need to manage your heat so not to blue your steel.

I have also never used a jig for sharpening my turning tools, but it would certainly make life easier.

2 Likes

Is the cone nosed live center so the point doesn’t dig into the wood as much?

I mean something like this:

This is helpful because it wil sit in the hole you cut for the axle to keep the half centred while turning.

1 Like

The primary difference is that high speed steel tools are for real woodturners, whereas carbide ones are for noobs… I’m totally kidding. That’s the equivalent argumement on wood turning forums of a ‘flat bearing vs centering bearing’ argument here.

High speed steel tools require more turning technique, whereas the carbide is a little more point and shoot. The benefit of high speed steel is that the tools are cheaper and you can achieve a better finish from the tool, saving you on sanding time. Carbide tools remove material fast, but are way more brutal on the wood.

Durability wise, Carbide is fine as long as you use the diamond card @vegabomb mentioned. Just sit it flat on the card and swirl it in a circular motion a few times and it is resharpened.

Never ever sharpen carbide tools on a bench grinder.

2 Likes