Get Ready for ONE July 2024!

Looking forward to throwing my cabal gen 2, I love my banshee but its gonna be nice to play with a 5a yoyo that doesn’t destroy my hands every time I bind it wrong.

2 Likes

Truth be told, I have been participating in the One July initiative quietly in my private yo-yo world.

Patriotically in honor of Independence Day, I selected a Zeekio Slim Jim Superman Splash in the red/white/blue as my throw of choice.

While enjoying some meditative throw time this morning on my deck, I could feel eyes on me. Low and behold I was being intently watched. Obviously those eyes saying I want to be part of that jam.

Not thinking, I handed over my throw. He took immediate interest. Then it hit me if I give up my Zeekio Slim Jim my One July is over. I thought fast, tried some other options, but he wasn’t buying it.

I couldn’t deny a new thrower so alas, I must sadly move on. It was good fifteen days of One July I must say. Nothing is better seeing the enjoyment of others over your own. I heartfeldedly believe made the right choice. Just look!

… Wait is that the doorbell?

I wonder if that is the mailman delivering my Yo-Yo Boomer Workhorse V2 prototype powered by G2 graphics by Billipo.

18 Likes

My V.2 is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. It’s going to be difficult.

5 Likes

My v.2 is supposed to arrive any minute now :grimacing:

6 Likes

Fantastic. Thanks for sharing this cutie with us. It’s gonna be the best thrower in the frog community.

3 Likes

My v2 is scheduled to arrive tomorrow as well, but nobody has made a definative ruling on whether switching from v1 to v2 will violate ONE July, so I’mma play it safe and wait until August. (Unless…)

5 Likes

My vote is that switching from the v1 to v2 should be allowed!

2 Likes

You might ask… if you were getting a second V.1 in the mail, would you be so anxious to throw it? They are similar but different. Different enough that you are excited to compare. Now this doesn’t mean I’m saying one way or the other. It all comes down to what each person has resolved to do in their hearts, and whether they feel like they accomplished it. However, I will not be offended if you change up. :wink:

Could I have chosen 720s and used any of my pairs :thinking:

The whole thing is honor system so it’s up to you if that’s a violation. for me I’d stay on the v1 or just be out.

1 Like

YYBC powered by G2 Workhorse v.2

4 Likes

First will be Duncan Butterfly, then Wildwood Druid.

3 Likes

One July Halfway Update: I’ve continued to stick with my chosen yoyo for the month, the G2 Banshee with a counterweight. I’ve also challenged myself to learn at least one new trick every single day this month, and I’ve succeeded in that as well. Here is the full list of tricks I’ve learned in the past 15 days:

Day 1: One handed grind bind
Day 2: Bind Interception and toss over (original 5a trick)
Day 3: Tower Stall (5a)
Day 4: The Dorito
Day 5: Prayer Catch (5a) and Keymaker Whip
Day 6: “Easy speed yoyo trick for noobs”
Day 7: Slingshot GT
Day 8: Chopsticks tower, Chopsticks to double or nothing, Jump rope type bind, Kamikaze mount, pulldown bind (5a), The DNA, Heart slack
Day 9: Kamikaze
Day 10: Slap Bind
Day 11: Underwater Basket Weaving
Day 12: Ghost Bind
Day 13: Green Revolution
Day 14: Chuck Norris’s Beard
Day 15 (Today): Electric Triangle

Hoping to continue this streak for the rest of this month until I get a well deserved break in august. Congrats to everyone else who’s made it this far, lets keep going and honor those who we’ve lost along the way :saluting_face:

11 Likes

Day 15:
I’m still in! Unfortnly I’m not throwing everyday but BlackBird is always in my bag.
I miss a lot Butterflys :sob::sob:

8 Likes

You did the right thing. New throwers always take precedence.

6 Likes

Day 15: Halfway through the month, so I suppose I should update my journal. Honestly, pretty uneventful. Yoyo continues to be a fidget toy; something to do with my hands. Since I picked the Workhorse V1, I have been boning up on some looping and fixie tricks, but honestly, just having a blast. I am working on re-learning Shoot the Moon I can’t let @kretzschmar have all the fun of almost being hit in the face, repeatedly).

It doesn’t sound like we’ll come to a unanimous decision on whether v1==v2 enough that it would be within ONE July’s rules to switch, so I’ve decided to stick with v1 until the end. I’ll just have to live vicariously through @Son-of-Morris.

9 Likes

I was under the impression, one yo-yo with the same configuration as the month starts. So no axle / bearing / spacer swaps either.
I was gung-ho on my orange 720’s with the blue and red spacers. And if it sucked I would just deal with it lol. However, I went out for other reasons.

2 Likes

There’s some slight ambiguity in the “rules” for ONE July, which, since this is an honor system driven event, is good. At the end of the day, the only person you’re disappointing is yourself. And there’s technically no shame if you don’t make it. There’s also no reason to lie either. Either you drop out and start enjoying all your other throws or you make it to the end with all the other’s who made it to the end.

But no one can make a convincing argument that v1==v2, and if nobody else is convinced, then how can I be convinced. Additionally, my personal goal is to actually complete this event. Not learn new tricks, not do cool stuff, just simply… Survive (which will be such an accomplishment on a personal level)

5 Likes

1 July just got VERY hard!

17 Likes

Oh man, I imagine. If you find the time and it won’t tempt you too much, I’d love to see a shot of the gap and guts, cool either way, I know a lot of peeps don’t like to unscrew

I just received the same but haven’t handled it enough to take pics :grin:

1 Like