Genesis vs Dv888

Just wondering which one YOU guys liked more.

Why?

i found a good deal for a genesis on sell and trade, and i know absolutely nothing about it. if i cant try a yoyo, then other peoples experiences is all i have.

Well, I like the Dv888 better. Hate to break it to ya’.

alright, thats why i was guess most people would say. one question for you. your a good yoyoer, so can you tell me when it would be time to upgrade from a dark magic. i know i could do it now, but the dark magic is working out just fine. i was thinking id buy a dv888 when i complete advanced 1 and 2. i dont know if thats stupid/smart or not. thanks.

This is in the wrong section fyi. :wink:

Anyway, I would go with the Genesis. But it is perferance. So asking preferance won’t really get you anywhere unless it is totaly unanamus. (yeah, I don’t know how to spell unanumus. pronouced you-nan-uh-mus.) It is just what you like. Just because Yukki Spencer likes it dosn’t mean you’ll like it. And just because I like it doesn’t mean someone else will like it. But yeah. But really, you CAN’T go wrong with either yoyos. Both are great yoyos that serve different preferaces. Just flip a coin, or go with the cheaper one. Or better yet go to a yoyo meet (if you can) and ask someone if you can try theirs out. And about what you said: Can you tell me when it would be a good time to upgrade from a Dm. Well, you don’t HAVE to really. Andre uses it, and he is an expert of experts. Really, yoyos will not make you a better yoyoer if that is what you are wondering. It might make you more fast, or whatever, but if you can pull it off on a Dv888, C22, or a Genesis, you can pull it off on a Dm. Unless if it is a Superstar with stacks. That is different. You can’t pull off stack tricks on a Dm. But yeah. I know I might be interigated for saying that but yeah. I am NOT saying don’t get a Dv888 or a Genesis. I know I would want one too. Infact I do want a Genesis. ;D It is acually one of my fav. throws! I just don’t have one. What I am sayin is there is no need to rush when getting yoyos. Your Dm will do. But if you have the cash, and you want a better throw. Go for it! I love getting yoyos myself! Infact I might have a problem on buying yoyos. :smiley: I hope you like whatever you get! :wink:

the genesis for sure

I was wondering if you’ve made your purchase yet. I wanna throw in my 2 cents.

I’ve not thrown a DM but I have a NewBreed which is in the same ball park.
Ok I just checked out the Genesis, I had seen it before. I remember the acid wash finish.

I think I can help you make a decision. I’m assuming this will be your first metal yo?
If so, with either one, you’re in for a treat. Good metal yo-yos are bawler.

There’s one big question you need to ask. Do you want a yoyo the same size as the Dark Magic?
Or, do you want one that is smaller? …quite a bit smaller.

Genesis and DM are nearly the same size. The Dv888 is considerably smaller, while still sporting 67grams, the same weight as Genesis. DM is 71grams.

The bearing size on Genesis is smaller. If you got the Dv888, you could swap bearings back and forth if you felt like it.

I just so happen to be getting a Dv888 in the mail this week, along with some fancy bearings and different string types. I’ve really gotta get a handle on this spending. lol

If you’re still shopping, check out a Foxtail at www.foxlandprecision.com
It was my first aluminum yo and it will serve you well. Only $50. they’ve got a couple other models too.
I’ll be sure to let you know what I think of my Dv888.

JonathanB

Thanks Servo343, your post really laid out all sides of the decision. This is my first metal yo-yo. I am going to place the order for the Dv888 on thursday, so I dont know if you will have yours before my order, but I am still excited to hear what you think of it. The reason I chose the Dv888 is because I feel as if the Dark Magic is sometimes bulky in string tricks, and I can use my DM’s KK bearing on my Dv888. Thanks alot.

DV888 Details

Details

Quantity No item(s) available
Manufacturer YoYoFactory
Shape Butterfly / Wing
Weight (g) 66.50
Width (mm) 40.64
Diameter (mm) 50.10
Gap Width (mm) 5.03
Bearing Size (Inside x Outside x Width) .250 x .500 x .187 in
Gap Type Fixed
Stock Response System Turning Point K-Pad YoYoFactory Sized

Genesis Details

Details

Quantity 3 item(s) available
Manufacturer YoYoFactory
Shape Butterfly / Wing
Weight (g) 67.40
Width (mm) 42.89
Diameter (mm) 56.26
Gap Width (mm) 5.10
Bearing Size (Inside x Outside x Width) .250 in x .500 in x .187 in
Gap Type Fixed
Stock Response System YoYoFactory Silicone Pad

Man oh man, it’s fun. I got it today. I don’t want to say too much about it. What I will say is, this just became the yoyo that I’ll have with me every time I leave the house. I’m not disappointed one bit. Ok I’ll say this too… Dv888 hasn’t made a peep the entire evening. I’m vastly impressed with the YYF bearing.

Other than that, I’m curious to hear what you have to say when you get yours.

JonathanB

James makes a good point. Nope, an awesome yo won’t make you awesome. But, a crappy yo can take you down a few notches. When I’m in a “State of Yo” and trying to master some element of a trick and I get stuck, I usually switch yoyos, to see if that makes a difference. It usually does, somehow. What I’ve found many times is that when I stick it on yoyo “B”, I’ll be able to pick up yoyo “A” again and stick it there too. So, some tricks may just be easier learn on one yo more than another, depending on the elements involved. But once learned, maybe just as executable on your other ones.

1 Like