General Yoyo Thoughts

Same!! :joy:

4 Likes

Although I’m not into biking I totally get this analogy and completely agree with you! I recently got a Life btw and love it, feels completely and utterly different to my Peak 2 for example. I just don’t get people who say there is no variation with organics.

6 Likes

Not long ago I saw a simple piece of advice offered (I think it was by Collin Beckford) to someone who didn’t like how heavy their yoyo felt in play. He suggested that they shorten their string a little bit.

The general rule of thumb is that if you want your yoyo to feel lighter, shorten your string, and if you want it to feel heavier, lengthen your string. I had never heard this before and I found it to be an interesting heuristic. So I looked into the physics behind it and I think I understand why it works.

A yoyo in motion exerts centrifugal force on your throwing hand, a Newtonian reaction to the centripetal force exerted by the string in opposition to the yoyo’s desire to move in a straight line away from the anchor point of rotation (your finger). We perceive this force as “yoyo weight”.

According to the equations, centrifugal force is proportional to the distance from the point of rotation, which in the case of a yoyo is defined by the length of the string. So, the longer the string, the more centrifugal force exerted and vice versa. :nerd_face:

10 Likes

As stability and spin times keep increasing I find myself modern responding with a dead yoyo.

1 Like

What do you mean by this?

The irony, all these technological advances, and the newest modern responsive tricks are performed with a stalled out dead throw. How less is more is being applied.

6 Likes

An interesting observation.

2 Likes

That is crazy! Very interesting.

4 Likes

My feelings exactly.

5 Likes

I keep trying wider and wider yo-yos and have yet to be bothered by the width, but anything under 45.5 mm I just don’t have a good time with. Same thing generally with anything under around 54.5mm

Even stuff with large catch zones that are narrow don’t work for me, so that’s no really the main factor. And while I have relatively larger hands, so do a lot of other people who like undersize.

I also enjoyed smaller stuff more when it was the standard. Now i just don’t feel right using small yo-yos.

6 Likes

I’m actually quite into mountain biking, but I use hardtails because full suspension is too darn expensive lol.

7 Likes

I looked at my collection yesterday and realised that I don’t really have any strong preferences when it comes to colour. Sure I would love it if all my yoyos were either solid black or brown but they aren’t and there are various colours in there. I guess I am more interested in the yoyo itself than how it looks.

3 Likes

Unlike me.
To me…beauty is only anodization deep.
:stuck_out_tongue:

…I really like how much you appreciate the yos you own though.

3 Likes

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of a side effect Yoyo? Or is it just some sales gimmick?

2 Likes

Lots of info if you use the search function

3 Likes

@YoYoExpertGarrett any idea when the Brass Kun will be back in stock?

2 Likes

Ooo now you want it.:thinking::thinking:

3 Likes

yes, very much so.

4 Likes

I have a mighty flea, it’s pretty similar. I could bring it in feb.

5 Likes

for sure! Mighty Flea looks fun, but i hear it’s extremely hard to use.

5 Likes