General Yoyo Thoughts

Probably thought it costs like $10

4 Likes

ā€˜oh, I played with one of these things when I was 8 years old, here goes!ā€™ *yoyo smacks into the groundā€¦ ā€˜wtf, it doesnā€™t even respond when I yank it up, must be broken (or possibly: maybe I broke it, whoops).ā€™ *puts yoyo back where he found it.

I know for sure that no kids were involved. I once watched one of my friends 8 year old son pick up my good well-tuned Butterfly, put it on his finger, and proceed to smash the thing into the ground. Since it is a plastic yoyo, it broke. I cringed a little, but it was a kid trying to play with a yoyo with a string set for a guy at 6ā€™, I understand. Kids do that kind of stuff. But I know for sure that there were no kids over for the holiday, and that whoever dinged the yoyo I had on display was at least 25+. I honestly donā€™t know what kind of mentality you would have to have to play with someone elses stuff, but in reality they probably didnā€™t know the value of the toy and thought of it as ā€œjust a yoyoā€. But whoever it was turned a NMTBS collectors item into a dinged one that pretty much exponentially diminishes its value, which pisses me off.

10 Likes

Man that really sucks @eternalmetal :frowning: :frowning:

4 Likes

Yeah, I donā€™t understand it. Same with touching other peopleā€™s hair, clothes, kids, pets, etc.

5 Likes

This is why I only keep pre-dingā€™ed yoyos at work.

8 Likes

Now that a new year is starting, Iā€™m gonna to shoot this piece of advice into the air for every younginā€™ on Instagram that is rapidly gaining popularity because you actually have good tricks:

Your creative energy is not endless. Posting everyday (sometimes multiple times every day) is a sure fire way to run out of content to post and be left without it. Space your posts. Let yourself have a couple of days to make new stuff. A time will arrive when youā€™ll feel like you are unable to create anything new or post-worthy, and being able to step back and give your yoyoing some air will be useful when that time comes. Iā€™ve seen it happen. Grab that x-division up again. Try something new too. Take it a bit easier on that social media boys. +1k views and 20 - 30 comments on a trickcircle feels good, but make sure youā€™re not feeding from that exclusively.

Source: It has happened to me.

17 Likes

This is the truth. To add to this, dont be afraid to take a break from posting a bit too if you run out of ideas/need a break.

7 Likes

got to try the Hummingbird, Bliss CS, Airwave, Haymaker X, Diffraction, and the Statement. i had such a blast trying these out and playing them with Jacob, and i thank him for actually letting me :joy: i think all of these are really amazing yoyos, and i highly recommend trying/buying these.

6 Likes

Very cool man!
What did you think of the Hummingbird?

3 Likes

i need one

4 Likes

it is dead smooth, it performs so nice. it feels really fast and stable, but fingerspins are very difficult, but when you get into one, they are smooth and very long spinning. gonna try to get one in the future from a BST, or just save up.

4 Likes

YoYo in SPACE! :flushed: This was posted here a long time ago but I just saw it for the first time. :eyes: Anyone know what yoyo that is? 888?

10 Likes

Thanks for the share, that just may be the coolest yoyo video ive ever seen. Im guessing that you almost need hubstacks in space, otherwise the yoyo would hit the end of the string and go out of control. Maybe I should study the physics to figure it out so I can impress the gals :rofl:

3 Likes

Super cool, thanks for sharing! For more yoyos in space, hereā€™s what looks like a Duncan Imperial on the Space Shuttle in 1985:

5 Likes

@AndreBoulay or @YoYoExpertGarrett, do you guys know when the Sochi 10 pack will be back in stock?

4 Likes

I will let you know. :+1:

4 Likes

thanks bro.

3 Likes

13 Likes

Lol at first I only saw the ā€œhonk all you want Iā€™m deafā€ sticker

9 Likes

I moved countries and started a new job and itā€™s been stressful, but also good. Good stress but still stress. Took a pause on yoyo but Iā€™m back to throwing a bit everyday. Sometimes itā€™s nice to take a little break from yoyoing and get back into it to appreciate it more. I say this here because yoyoing is, and has always been, a nice stress reliever for me.

Still digging organics, hard. Was throwing the Sparrow a ton and itā€™s grown on me more and more but then I put it down for a bit because I havenā€™t vibed with the Life enough yet. The Life is such a solid performer and sometimes itā€™s just the right flavor of organic. Itā€™s funny, even though the Life is better performing than the Sparrow (for example), itā€™s not exactly the sweet spot of sensitivity that I look for from organics.

On that noteā€¦ I just got a mountain bike (MTB) for utility purposes first, for fun secondā€¦ but woah is it fun. I havenā€™t biked in years but Iā€™m really getting into it. It strikes me that thereā€™s a parallel with yoyoing here. As MTB tech has improved, theyā€™ve made modern performance beasts with both front and rear suspension. Now, the older models that only have front wheel suspension are called ā€œhardtailsā€, and I keep coming across videos of pros riding hardtail MTBs and advocating for how this older tech is more sensitive and gets you in tune with the trail and the bike more. Well, for me thatā€™s the same with organic yoyos. I like the tactility and the feedback. So many things in life are designed for convenience, where the user isnā€™t supposed to feel stress or discomfort. However, I find thereā€™s a nice sweet spot of sensitivity where the tools, whether a bike or yoyo or whatever, provide some level of comfort and ease, but not so much where you canā€™t feel terrain/gravity/friction. After all, Iā€™m doing these activities to learn and tune my awareness to different possibilities, and not to be too insulated. But also, to do some work. Itā€™s good to have tools to feel the work, but not too much.

Ok that was a lot to write but whatevs, it was nice to put some words to this. Stuck inside today due to not so good weather.

7 Likes