General Yoyo Thoughts

I really wonder why more people don’t play styles other than 1A.

Is it a lack of tutorial content? Do modern unresponsives make learning 1A so easy and accessible that the other styles having a higher barrier of entry makes them unapproachable? Is it due to other styles having less competition in the contest scene? Is it because buying yoyos for styles other than 1A isn’t as exciting because there’s fewer new releases specifically targeting non-1A play?

Feels really strange how it seems like the majority of people who pick up 2-5A seriously only stick with them beyond a beginner level if they’re motivated by competition (or have just been throwing that style for the past 10-20 years). And anything that isn’t a contest style (other than 0A) is kinda just never played period (möbius, full loop, cw offstring, double dragon, etc.) outside of maybe one or two people every now and then trying to promote them.

4 Likes

I’m sure it is a combination of “all of the above”.

I also think that you can kind of divide hardcore yoyoers into two camps: loopers (2A) and stringers (everything else). If you aren’t that enamored of looping as a style of play, then you’re going to walk down the other path, and that starts with 1A. And since 1A is deep enough and time-consuming enough on its own, most 1A players don’t go any further. Sure, a few delve into 5A, and fewer still try 4A or 3A, but most lock onto 1A and stop there, finding it fun and rewarding enough all by itself.

5 Likes

I don’t know some of the styles you mentioned (double dragon I have no clue what can be), I think 1a is the one we all get to know yoyo more or less and probably is the most “common” because it is by itself common, the yoyo is in your finger like a “normal” yoyo and then you do the tricks and I think is also the most viewed in general (think about the world seems like 1a is the most important category).
I wish I started with 2a or 5a I think are the most cool styles out there but when I discovered them I was long into 1a so I didn’t even bothered to “try again”.
Also some of those styles requires space (think about 4a as well) where the yoyo fly away from the string go all over the place and stuff, 1a is generally the more safe, the yoyo is there doesn’t to anywhere the most you can do is ding it on the floor or on yourself generally.

I anyway see that 4a is growing so much in those years, there are more and more clips and people and same for 3a, 5a seems still a bit “underground” compared the others, also I think all of those styles have a learning curve a bit harder than the 1a

4 Likes

Double dragon is playing with two strings attached to your yoyo. You can have both strings attached to your hand via slipknots, you can have one attached via slipknot and the other with a counterweight, or both strings attached via counterweights. The learning curve is enormous so I understand more people not playing it. Here’s a clip of it

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYMI7ycsMfv/

But something like möbius not being attempted by more people is strange to me. Just put the slip knot around two fingers, then just play 1A but always consider the option that the slip knot is now a string segment that can be used during tricks. It requires no extra equipment, no extra setup, and unless you’re doing slip knot suicides you’re not going to damage your yoyo playing this style.

I get that it’s an abnormal way to play and think about yoyo, but I’m just surprised that more people aren’t willing to really even give it a chance. The non-contest styles don’t feel underground, they feel borderline non-existent with how rare it is to see them played.

5 Likes

Enter the Dragons

10 Likes

I personally love 5A, I just dont have enough time to dedicate to it. I cant play inside because I often drop the yoyo, and the CW/yoyo impacts are loud and my gf does not like either lol. I’m not coordinated enough yet with the CW to avoid those problems lol. I have a backyard to play in, and I do get time in the evenings and weekends but those are limited. I can play 1A (and 0A for that matter), anywhere and any time including breaks at work so I play those styles a lot more. I plan on getting a pair of 720s at some point in the future because I do have an interest in 2A, but idk how deep that will go lol

4 Likes

I have a strong feeling styles like mobius and full loop are just too obscure for most people into yoyos these days.

I only know of mobius from a few docpop vids, and I only know of 1 player (luna) who plays full loop. Full loop videos aren’t really a thing on youtube, you can only readily find them by searching a specific hashtag on IG.

2 Likes

I’m trying to record more alt style tricks because I really want to encourage more people to actually try them.

Here’s a möbius trick I was working on earlier, it’s still a WIP but like… it’s just 1A but with a ton of weird new options available. If you’re not paying attention I feel like you could easily miss the fact this trick isn’t possible in 1A. It’s fun and I feel like it doesn’t have any barrier of entry higher than just learning how to bind with an unresponsive yoyo. Just put the slip knot over more than one finger and give if a go to see if it might be something that’s fun to you.

12 Likes

I am going to say. We dont know what we dont know.

In todays world. Yoyo is comonly thought of in 0A as we define it. The progression to 1A seems like the simplest progression. However most of the General Public is not aware of 1A.

From a beginner prospective, I am still progressing into the 1A unresponsive. I am currently playing 0A, 0.5A and 1A. I feel that these build the required foundation for the other styles. There needs to be a sence of security (Confidence) in this area before I venture out into the others.

Responsive 5A seems like it will be my next venture into a new style.

Basically, Ease and Awareness. I had no clue about the Mobius Style (Looks very Interesting) prior to this conversation. However, I will not be trying it until I can do some of those elements in 1A first.

5 Likes

what is 0.5A if not responsive 5A?

1 Like

It is my Nomenclature for Modern Responsive. Between Fixed Axel and Unresponsive.

2 Likes

ahh i understand now. my confusion came from 0A being a distinction about play, not yoyo type. bearing responsive, or fixed doesnt matter if you’re playing the 0A style of stalls, flips, regens, varials, etc. just like doing string tricks is 1A whether you’re using an unresponsive yoyo or a responsive yoyo.

1 Like

Exactly.

0A - Fixed Axel
1A - Modern String Tricks (Usually Unresponsive)
0.5A - A Yoyo that can do Both (Modern Responsives)

2 Likes

the A’s dont distinguish yoyo type though, they distinguish play style. i understand those are personal distinctions, but theyre in disagreement with what the widely understood meanings are

only 2A has a distinct yoyo style associated with it because its looping play style and looping yoyos just work better, but technically any responsive yoyo could be used.

2 Likes

Thank You Sir for the clarification.

2 Likes

Your post reminded me of two funny freestyles

Here’s a Dark Magic used for 4A at US nats

Here’s a Flight used for 1A at VA states. @YoYoExpertEric is a legend

10 Likes

thats pretty incredible to see a dark magic in 4A lol

Also seeing horizontal combos on the flight is ridiculous

6 Likes

Im throwing mine now and omg is it a freaking treat. Weight distribution is literally perfect on this thing, DEADDDDD smooth, looks amazing and feels even better in the hand. Honestly they knocked that thing outta the park. Also i love the blackout version lol :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Do you guys cut/tie loops in multiple strings at a time to have ready, or do you just do one at a time as needed?

3 Likes

I relate to this a lot.

4 Likes