General-Yo Prestige Review

My Prestige came today. Like it very much.

It has a similar feel on the throw to the Basileus I purchased from mgiroux77 about a month ago (thanks!).

Very good spin times, very stable. The dark aqua color is just beautiful.

I was surprised at how fast it played - has the look/feel of a slower, heavier throw, but plays much faster than I expected.

Very happy with my purchase.

1 Like

That is great news!!! Glad you enjoy the throw!!!

Bearing just needed to be broken in. It is an amazing throw.

2 Likes

mgiroux77, I love the review and agree with you completely. You’re making me want a Chief even more now haha, since the Prestige is so great.

It is a wonderful throw and I cannot put it down :smiley:

It’s a great addition to anyone’s collection.

1 Like

Thank you!!! Yea if you like the Prestige you will love the Chief too!!!

There have really only been three metal yoyo’s to come out in 2013 that have really blown me away and they are the Prestige, Format: C and the BvM2. The reason I say metal is because of the Rally and Yeti. I have as much of a blast throwing both of them as I do my metals… That is another thread all together though!!

I really think that in the years to come when we look back on all of Ernie’s designs that the Prestige will be a verty special yoyo. For me it has that feel that it will not get old with time. Certain yoyo’s just fade over time… I do not think this one will. It will go down as a “classic”

1 Like

I take this back - I changed the bearing to a Whipple and the string to one of my usual ones (thinner) and have played for about five minutes (literally the time I get to play each day!). Big improvement for me in terms of stability and lack of vibe. It was either the bearing (although all my other AIGRs are amazing) or the string. Either way I am really happy with the improvement!

I am going to be throwing all of my General Yoyos tomorrow and will be updating my fave yoyos list soon after to include the Prestige, though I don’t know where it will rank as yet (on today’s play it will be somewhere near the very top, but I want to let the excitement factor from today dictate where it ends up!).

Thanks to the General for another amazing throw.

What do you think of the BvM2?
How does it compare with the Chief and the Prestige?

I am also thinking about getting one of these :slight_smile: I currently have a Canvas on the way but I still really want a Chief, BvM2, and Cliff. Curious how the BvM2 compares to my current favorite/

I LOVE the BvM2. It plays much more solid than both the Prestige and Chief. It is also VERY stable. Spin time is excellent and you can really push it when needed or it can be a chilled out laid back kinda yoyo. Very versitile yoyo IMHO.

There both good but i think chief plays better. Chief seems overall more balanced

May have to get a BvM2 before a chief then. I really like my Summit and Prestige but they are on the floaty side of things and I’m not sure how I feel about that. I still love to play my Genesis+ a lot which is very heavy and laid back, but can be pushed to go fast if needed :slight_smile: which is apparantly very similar to the BvM2…

Hmmmmmmmm… Decisions Decisions…

This yoyo was also meant to handle more horizontal play, hence the weight distribution. I LOVE the way it played out. Plays great, looks great, feels great. Personally, it’s my favorite yoyo out there. :slight_smile:

I got my Prestige a few days ago and it’s sooo good! It was my first General-Yo and won’t be my last because I already have a Aman KLR coming in the mail :smiley:

It’s beastly for grind-to-bind tricks, too. Not that it’s alone in that regard, but I’m always reaching for the Puffin or the Prestige (tonight it was prestige for 3 hours!) when I really want to practice that kind of trick.

Worked a bit on pull-starts and matador stuff, just 'coz I could.

1 Like

How does the cliff stack up to the chief? I own the prestige and the cliff both are super high on my enjoy list, but I have a feeling I need to buy a chief ?..

I full agree ThThanks a you that will keep that new yoyo smell and feel (pun on the car adage) & won’t grow old or get stale.

The Cliff is another animal all in itself. I enjoyed owning the Cliff but it was not that comfortable to throw. The way the “cut” on the gap hit your fingers on a return just drove me crazy. It is a ton of fun to play though… I just could not get past that feel. During play though it was great.

The Chief is one of the best yoyo’s to have ever been made. It does it all and is super comfy too!!

1 Like

Dang you’re really making it hard on me! I absolutely love the cliff out of all the CLYW yoyos I own and have played, but I’ve not owned or played a chief.

Back to the prestige I am really just loving it. Reminds me of a majesty and a ministar getting together and having babies.

Can someone please tell me if there’s a difference in play between the anodized ones and the others?

Thanks

Do you mean blasted vs tumbled (pyramatte) or anodized vs raw??

If you mean blasted vs tumbled then the blasted finish grinds better

If you mean anodized vs raw well and anodized yoyo has a stronger more durable finish that also will help with potential vibe issues down the road.

Many companies will not sell raw yoyo’s because of this.

This one is coming back with 19mm pads. Will probably pick one up, a yo-yo I regretted selling.

2 Likes

Same, it was so stable and spinned for ages. If I ever went to compete, I’d use this. Not to mention it literally is so smooth you hardly realize it’s spinning.

1 Like