General-Yo Ministar: A High Speed YoYo Review

I could not think of a better way to celebrate the Fourth of July this year than by writing a review of the newest General-Yo product, the Ministar. It has been about a year since Ernie Kaiser, the brains of General-Yo, unleashed the Hatrick and set it loose on the world. Way too long to go between releases, if you ask me. For those of you that don’t know General-Yo, here is a quick history lesson. After a 34 year hiatus, 45 year old Ernie Kaiser picked up a Duncan Imperial and fell back in love with throwing. His rekindled love of throwing turned into a passion that lead to the collecting of high end throws. Being an aerospace engineer, geek speak for paid tinkerer of really cool thing, he decided to out his 19 years of CNC experience to task and build a yo-yo of his own. Toiling for several weeks on designing and machining, the prototype for the Torrent was born. After showing it to some members of a local club in town and listening to the positive responses Ernie decided to put a company together and release the Torrent into the market. The rest is history. Today we take look at the first mini sized yo-yo from General-Yo, the aptly named Ministar. Looking at the photos of the Ministar it is easy to see that this is a reimagining of the much-loved 5-Star design into a more pocket friendly package. As with any other retooling of an already established design, I worry about whether the current design will work in its newer incarnation. Especially when it is a retake on a yo-yo design that has been on my top 3 list since it was released. I guess we will have to see if my fears are warranted or if they are completely unfounded.

Click the link below to continue reading the review:
http://www.highspeedyoyo.com/reviews/general-yo/general-yo-ministar-purple-heart-edition

4 Likes

Yaaay!

Nice review!

Thanks SR, I thought your review was very informative as well. Keep up the good work man.

1 Like

Thanks for the review, it helped me decide what pocket size throw to get.