Gan 356i Smart Cube

I just got a 16 today lol

4 Likes

What?!?!?

3 Likes

haha that’s freaking crazy man! :smiley:

4 Likes

I can slowly solve the 3x3, 2x2, 4x4, 5x5. I like the mirror cube versions of the 3x3 and 2x2. You can even solve those in the dark. I have a twist one that’s cool, and a couple of barrels. These are what’s in the house. Some are mine and some are my kids’.

I thought I might learn to go faster with this Gan Robot and Smart Cube, but I’m realizing it’s like learning a new language! All those permutations, and having to recognize which one to apply when…

3 Likes

I recommend learning 4 Look Last Layer and F2l, those are the easiest ways to get sub-60

4 Likes

I found a Tinycard deck of 41 F2Ls. I think I can get this!

Many of the algorithms are short and actually intuitive, so that’s making it a bit less daunting.

1 Like

I have the 356i, it’s pretty neat and are definitely better than the others out there. I would say it’s pretty unnecessary though unless you’re like sub 30. Definitely unnecessary if you don’t know 4LLL or F2L

2 Likes

I would use the F2L “algorithms” as a guide to understand how to optimally get F2L pairs but at the end of the day F2L should be intuitive and not algorithmic like last layer is. in F2L you should understand why you’re making certain moves rather than just memorizing the alg.

As far as 4LLL goes it actually doesn’t take too long to memorize the algs.

3 Likes

It’s a toy! Seriously though, I don’t understand what you mean.

Maybe that all the online players are sub 30, so you need to get down there to make meaningful use of online competition? I don’t even know if that’s true, but if it is, I imagine if more people start using it, that will change.

Other than that:

• It tracks your times, and gives a lot of info about them.
  • It Scrambles for you, or gives you scrambles if you don’t have the robot
  • It will teach you how to solve, if you don’t know how.
  • It helps you train algorithms.
  • It’s just so cool, especially the robot.

So I definitely think it’s “useful” for the rest of us.

As I alluded to in my post above, I did start to notice that, as I’ve been working with them. Again, the cube and app are helpful for practicing the cases.

2 Likes

did you buy it?

2 Likes

Yes, I did!

My 9yo was totally fascinated with it.

I’m very happy with it. I was worried as some people complained about having trouble syncing the cube, but I haven’t had any issues.

*intuitive F2L, I haven’t started learning algorithmic F2L yet

To be completely honest I don’t really use it that much. Like I said it’s neat and I bought it cuz I thought it was cool but I don’t think it’s super necessary.

Tracks times and gives you scrambles. Yeah but I have an app to do that too, and I’ve recorded over 2500 solves with it and it’s shown my improvement and other data as well. I think the cool thing about the Gan app tho is it can replay the solve, but most of the time I’m too lazy to analyze them tbh :joy: “slow solves” work well for me to practice and fix bad habits)

It will teach you how to solve? There’s YouTube videos that are more useful

Algorithm training is cool but if you only learning 4LLL, I don’t think it’s that helpful since there’s only a few algs, repeating the algs and building muscle memory yourself isn’t that much more if any more difficult.

I think it’s neat and it’s cool to use but I think I prefer using a standard timer app to practice because it’s just a little quicker so I can do more solves, plus if I’m lazy I can just hand scramble.

The lack of even level competition is also a thing too as you mentioned. I haven’t used it in a few weeks but I remember I would be matched up with faster cubers a lot even tho I average ~25. I think the main thing is it’s a lot of money to spend and probably most people buying it are already really invested in cubing.

1 Like

That all makes sense, and maybe it is more of a cool gimmick than anything else. I still think it’s useful, and I’m enjoying it.

Doesn’t seem like you need to!

1 Like