G2 Albatross - New axel & bearing needed

Hey friends,
I have a G2 Albatross (got it from Dingo54 back in the day :slight_smile: You da bomb man)

But the axle and the bearing is long gone.

Can I just hit up eBay and buy those parts? I can get a Buddah gold bearing for $6 or so dollars, but I don’t know if all the sizes are the same or not… And the axle, I’m not even sure where to get that or what size fits what yoyo??

Anyway, would sure appreciate y’alls expert advice.

I was going to grab some 100% cotton strings as well, I did some reading here and it sounds like they bind the easiest? My other eBay cheapie yoyo is reaaallllyyyyy unresponsive. NEVER surprises you and pops back up on you, but you can’t let it remotely get close to slowing down or you’ll never get it back. It looks like the silicone rings are not real silicone, probably just stick in rubber. I should probably redo that properly as I saw some videos here explain how to do.

Is that G2 Albatross yoyo still a respected “thing?” I always thought it was awesome, but don’t know how it stacks up in the grand scheme of the yoyo world.

This was the cheap thing I bought off of eBay. Anyone had experience playing with the ultra cheap side of things?

I’m just curious…

Stock Bearing: One Drop 10 Ball (size C)

Axle: take it to a hardware store and find a set screw with the proper thread. If you can’t get a set screw get a normal screw and cut the head off. Smooth the cut end. You could contact Jake (G2_Jake) for the axle size and pick one up locally. Axles are just set screws.

http://www.highspeedyoyo.com/reviews/a-m/g-squared-yoyos/g-squared-albatross

I would avoid cotton string. It wears quickly and breaks easily.

2 Likes

12mm axle

Got that info off of the G2 site.

12 mm would be the length. You also need the thread size.

Could you use another yoyo axle for a reference on the thread… width :man_shrugging:t3:

Or email yoyoexpert and ask if they have any 12mm axles in stock.

I’ll be quiet. Good luck with this.

It looks like the only 12mm axles on YoyoExpert are the YoyoFactory ones: https://shop.yoyoexpert.com/products/yoyofactory-yoyo-axle?variant=18870708100

It would be a bit iffy. The length has nothing to do with the thread size.

Seconded I have had nothing but bad experience with cotton strings. I like the feel and texture and smell but sooo many breaks.

1 Like

Axle is M4x0.7 12mm. You might be able to find this size at your local hardware store. Bearing is C sized, or in order of inner diameter, outer, and width, .250"x.500"x.187". Pretty much every yoyo out there uses this bearing size with a few exceptions.

3 Likes

Is it possible that you might actually be adventurous enough to contact Jacob Gross directly?

I have a tendency to feel that he would be the perfect person to address this tragic dilemma that you’re facing right now.

As a matter of fact Jake is a positive energy kind a guy. So something tells me that he would actually step up to the plate and take the initiative or the challenge as you may; and just jump right into it headfirst and get those things in the mail to you like speed of grease lightning.

That’s my theory anyway.

2 Likes

Super super helpful, thank you so much… Ordered the bearing, and will head to the hardware store and check for that.

Thank you all immensely. That was a bucket-load of helpful info.

Duly noted on the cotton strings. I will not purchase cotton then lol. 50/50 mix? I thought I heard people saying they didn’t’ like 100% polyester?

The plethora of info was amazing, thank you so much!

2 Likes

Even 50/50 has been break-y and unreliable for me.