Fundamental yoyo tricks?

What are some fundamental yoyo tricks to do every day to improve my game?

Rewind, Brent stole, laceration, mcbrides roller coaster, etc. basic tricks mostly.

Depends how good you are.
How good are you?

I would say only mounts are fundamental, I know people that can land tricks that would be considered complex, but cannot land a basic slack whip.

Once you have the mounts mastered then move onto others.

Apart from mounts I would say things like Brent Stole or Laceration (they both have the same looping slack to them and open up alot of cool looking ways to regain control over a trick.). Boingy Boing then moving onto an Under Over Boing, this opens up alot of cool looking tricks involving your hands and just basically bouncing the yoyo around a string frame.

last but not least… Popping… thats right. Basic Popping. Learning how to pop the yoyo off the string to start a kwyjibo or other things like that is one of the most over looked skills that people learn when they start. You only realise this when you start working on one of the many tricks that require it. There’s no tutorials for this, that I found, it’s just practice and getting used to the way your yoyo feels on the string. Pop the yoyo off the string, whip the string randomly, and then try to catch the yoyo back on the string into a trapeze, it’s the method I used to learn it.

If Brent Stoles are fundamental, I’m in trouble.

I’ve done a few, but cannot land them consistently. And practicing them has injured my shoulder. :wink: I have to lay off Brent Stoles and Hooks until my shoulder heals now.

On that note, if anyone has any tips on how to get that much string around the finger and then the yoyo without needing so much throw-arm force, I’m all ears!

Fundamentals… I don’t know enough to really give a great opinion. But it seems to me that so many frontstyle tricks flow into one another that almost any frontstyle trick can be considered a building block for combos. This seems to be more true than sidestyle tricks, which do not always seamlessly interconnect.

Without knowing that many tricks, I do tend to agree that mounts, pops, and basic whips are all fundamentals.

The whipping motion is what I would say is fundamental.

And for anyone else in greg’s position [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNUn8ZjegwQ]this video is for you[url]. A second tip is once you have caught the string in your finger (part 1 of the trick) pull your throw hand passed the yoyo moving the string to be diagonally across the top of the yoyo. The loop will flip over that and land into the yoyo.

Sorry for the offtopic tips. You may continue.

Yeah, I’ve seen that video. Didn’t help as much as the RethinkYoyo.com one; and I’m not sure that it helps relieve the force I have to put into the whip. Wish the catalog of HSYY videos had different angles and also a regular speed view like the later ones do.

Still, a useful video that’s sure to help some people!

it should only really take as much force as a laceration, I think it’s more about the fluid-ness of the whip more than the force of it.

A second tip is once you have caught the string in your finger (part 1 of the trick) pull your throw hand passed the yoyo moving the string to be diagonally across the top of the yoyo. The loop will flip over that and land into the yoyo.

Sorry for the off topic discussion guys… I will shut up now and will left it get back onto the topic at hand :slight_smile:

1 Like

The most fundamental trick I can think of is the sleeper.

Well, maybe the gravity pull.

I sure gotta work on the fluidness, then! If I do it only with laceration strength, the loop doesn’t even get around my finger. Maybe it’s the string I’m using…? Probably not. I probably just have no flow. :wink:

This ain’t no penspinning.

If the loop isn’t opening enough you have to make a wider motion with your throw hand. The bigger of a circle you make with your throw hand is, the bigger the loop will be. You should be able to learn from the rethinkyoyo tutorial.