Freehand/5A Discussion

Exactly! It felt very satisfying didn’t it?

Yep, I just wish my middle finger wasnt swelling up because i hit it with the CW. Oh well, at least I can still do bee sting and 360 since I dont need to bend it

Echo- spintop button on trans red dice
Raptor- spintop button

I’m getting an Echo very soon, it looks like the perfect 5a throw for me. what’s your opinion on the Echo compared to the Metropolis for 5a?

One of my resolutions for the year was to do more 5A, and I’m having a good time with it so far!

My set-ups are:
-purple YYF Genesis w/ neon green YYJ Takeshi dice
-blue YYJ Destiny w/ neon green (might be yellow) YYJ Takeshi dice
-MinusMike modded and painted “Clareview Wolverine” FHZ (dual-sili, schmooved) w/ yellow Duncan bouncy ball

I’ll get pics of the above up in this week.

This weekend, I got to the point where I could continuously do bee stings (such a cool trick!). And I’m working on perfecting my 5a double or nothing. Trying to learn e-fan very slowly (and not doing a good job of it). I think 5a trapeze and brother is the next most important thing that I should learn.

Great new years resolution and great progress! I’m waiting to mod my FHZ soon(Paul Escolar ed.) and I can’t wait! Have you tried learning tangler? its extremely fun!

I have finally decided to try throw 5a at least a little bit everyday. I am using an Echo with the skull counterweight that came with my Metal Drifter because that is all I have. Working on tangler and some e-fan combos but trying to smooth them out.

you guys are impressing me working on beesting and tangler, took me months to get beesting and I can’t say that I can do the tangler now. there’s only one trick that exits with a tangler that I can do.

for those who haven’t seen it (and those who actually care to watch it ^^)
this is my last (and first, actually) trick vid

Nice tricks Hadoq. You’re getting good at the tech area of 5a. Is that the nickel 54?

1 Like

thanks ^^

the throws are in that order on the first 3 tricks shown

• steamroller
  • Ni 54
  • 09 Severe

I really like that Tour de France trick. You’ve got that slow and cool, Jon Rob style down.

1 Like

Pics of my guys like I said!

Quick question: Now as stated earlier, I’m just getting into 5a seriously. I can do 5a Double or Nothing. But when I get into this mount, my throw hand does this “claw” thing. It kinda looks like I’m holding a gun parallel to my body with my index finger curled at the trigger (as opposed to perpendicular, with a straight index finger). I think I do this because curling my index finger helps pull the yoyo up to mount, which helps it maintain the correct momentum (the other fingers are clawed because they have to catch).

Is this a bad habit to get into?

I think the “claw”, as you called it, is a result of tension in your body. You’re tensing up while you concentrate on the trick so you can hit it. Too much tension is never a good thing in any performance art. What you need to try for instead is relaxation and control. Both of those come from lots of practice, but there are a few things you need to think about and concentrate on while you practice. The first thing is simple: breathing. I know it may sound silly at first, but taking in a deep breath before the trick and then letting it out on the throw will really help you relax. Next, you need to know what your hands are doing, and when they are doing whatever. Think of it as an order of operations. First you throw, you intercept the string closer to the cw with your freehand, pinwheel the cw into your throw hand while intercepting the string with your throw hand, hit the double or nothing. Something like that. Relaxation and control. That’s what helps me. I hope it helps you.

what helped me getting the 5A double or nothing and wristmount down was to get the string as straight as possible when the yoyo goes around the non throw hand index for the first time.

jon rob does it perfectly to get into a wrist mount, check his vids out.

and yes, tension in your body is normal when learning but is supposed to go away once you get the trick, ultimately, you want to be as relaxed as possible. if you can do yoga, martial arts and whatnot, it’ll help (and not only your yoyoing)

Ta-1s so goood

Spyy Ronin with a dice with a drill pressed hole

Yyf severe(delrin) with Duncan dice

Yoyofficer Brave with White Takeshi Dice.

Who is everyone’s inspiration? My favorites are Terry, Drew, Pon, Chuck, and Sterling. I heard Sterligs PNWR freestyle was mind blowing next level stuff.

Also this is the best 5a video ever.

Werrd split D Johnny 5 with Duncan die, destiny, and quest.