For those new to the hobby, what are you currently throwing?

For those new to the hobby, what are you currently throwing?
What do you recommend that doesn’t break the bank? What are your favourite yoyo’s under $20? :yo-yo:

1 Like

A little more than $20 but I can say well worth the money.

This keeps up with throws I have well into the $50-100 range

4 Likes

$20 was just a ballpark suggestion, a bit more money is fine.

Really just looking for ANY suggestions, doesn’t have to be anything specific either.

ANY yoyo is a good yoyo in my books :call_me_hand:

Jumped back in about 4 months ago after many years off, so basically starting fresh.

I’m throwing all responsive and fixed axle since I’ve been back.

Here’s a pic of the what I have so far excluding my fixed axles
From the Top, L To R
El Mijo Poly, Harbinger, PLTPS Lite, Red Blood Cell, Turbo Grind Machine, Confusion, Origen, Firecracker, Colossus 3, MMC.

(the 2 bottom right are responsive that I had from before)

For fixed axle I have No Jive, Gates SE10, Gates OG Om(in repair), Survivalist and a Gnomad and Knack on thier way to me.

For beginners best value I would say get a First Base, I had one but my kid smashed it, or an Origen if you want to try responsive.
Both are about $20 or $30 I think and are great throws.

3 Likes

Fixed axles are awesome, when they feel right, they feel SUPER good to throw

1 Like

Magic yo-yo makes excellent yo-yos for pretty cheap, I’d recommend the Yo-3 hertz by them, probably the best model of theirs I’ve tried so far

1 Like

My favorite inexpensive yo-yo is the Duncan Butterfly XT. Great for responsive tricks like stalls.

For the beginner through intermediate string tricks, I started with Duncan Freehand (I think it’s the 2016 version), but once I got a metal unresponsive, I haven’t used it much.

1 Like

Not new
But for those starting out
I recomend the yoyo village tornado
Great yoyo

1 Like

Tornado looks like a rebranded magic YoYo k1

3 Likes

i started 3 months ago and i moved through the plastics and responsives quickly. ive come back around to enjoying responsive play in its own right and most recently looping. but i found spending the money to grab a good at least mid range mono metal to be the best road for me. it gave me the power, stability, and spin time to take my time working through new tricks. my current favorite every day throws are clyw avalanche and one drop panorama

6 Likes

I took the above advice from @Splizacular and ended up grabbing a YYF Shortcut ($30) and it’s been amazing. First I nostalgia bought a Tigershark, then found this board and the whole modern world of yoyp. I haven’t done it since the 90s. Been throwing again for a week or so and loving it!

6 Likes

Still a ready good yoyo, YJ Spinel

2 Likes