For a new thrower learning, is there a big difference with $$$ yoyo's?

I have a replay pro, shutter premium, DV888 that I’m learning with and what I’m finding is that I really like the action and feel of the metal Shutter. I also like the larger size and weight over the DV888.
I’ve read that the CLYW Sasquatch is a really stable yoyo and thinking I might pony up the cash and buy a nicer throw in the $100-125 range. My first purchase was the DV888 and it was difficult to trapeze and catch with it. Then the Replay pro and Shutter showed up, they were much easier to catch, finger grind, trapeze, etc. After spending 3 hours practicing today I feel allot more comfy with the Shutter.

Am I going to notice much difference at this stage of learning? Will it be easier to learn with the nicer yoyo, more forgiving to a less than perfect sleeper, etc.? Anything I should look at in the $100-150 range?

I’m not that concerned over the cost, this is about the cheapest hobby I’ve ever had, but I don’t want to waste my money either.

Thoughts?

Honestly, price means nothing in this hobby. You can get an awesome playing yo-yo for $50 or less and at the same time you can get a real dog and spend a mint.

The biggest bit of advice I can give is check out a local yo-yo club or even a contest close to you and try as many as you can. Get a feel for what you like and run with that. Reviews can help you find what you like, but they are just one person’s opinion and not a substitute for trying them yourself.

Most of all, welcome to this fun little hobby. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I want to first say that it is all personal preference as to what you are looking for in a yoyo. If you like stable organic types, then a high end v shape is most likely going to be worse than a $50 organic yoyo with heavy rim weight. With that said let’s move on.

there is a quality of yoyo that you get with high end yoyos. This does not mean a high end yoyo is better than a “budget” yoyo. There are some expensive yoyos that I think are worth it’s price and some that I feel are worse then a $50 yoyo. So it depends. If you compare most high end heavy weighted rim yoyos with a budget yoyo with heavy rim weight, most would say that the high end will out perform. But that, once again, is all personal preference.

I haven’t played the Sasquatch but I do love most of clyw’s throws. As long as you choose a yoyo with the specs you want, you’ll be happy. My first yoyo was a too hot. And it was a great yoyo and helped me tremendously cause it’s stable and super comfy and versatile. Too bad it hit like a train when i went to bind. So pick whatever you like.

honestly your little yoyo collection right now is just fine. I mean Gentry stein has won both nationals and worlds with the yoyos you have so your more than capable with learning with what you already have. At this point in time if you throw a $100 at a new yoyo the only thing that would really change is quality, lack vibration and maybe a little bit more adventurous of a shape. Now if your curious about a yoyo and if it will be easier to learn on, that depends on the yoyo a little bit, because some yoyos for competition are very angular and hurt your hands if you have a bad sleeper and it shoots back to your hand, while on the other side much more rounded yoyos can be a little bit more forgiving. If i were you wait a little bit until you get a little better then spend the money so that you don;t have the pain of accidentally damaging a $100 yoyo.

i agree with this. Meant to say you may not really utilize its full potential and be at risk of damaging a very expensive piece of metal. It was bumped when I dinged my golden galaxy too hot($90) cause I was still new to it. It actually only had two dings so not too bad.

DV888 have a rather narrow “effective width” because at some point of the rim it just goes flat, unlike a Replay Pro or Shutter where pretty much you can land the string near the rim and still be able to land the trick properly. In addition to less diameter and high (wide) inner wall where the string usually winds up, the DV888 tilts more easily. This is the reason why it’s more difficult.
If you are just looking for the most stability, go with the ones with full size (55mm+), low wall, and full/thick rims. Most Yoyorecreation models like Sleipnir, Draupnir, etc comes to mind.
Or you could get a Freehand Zero and practice the heck out of it, and then you can use any metal yoyo with ease.
Price doesn’t really tell if it’s more stable or “better” in any way, it only says that the production cost is higher, could be from where it’s made, the material, etc. Some of the $150+ ones are actually more difficult to play than the DV888, have less stability, etc. However, most people who have been yoyoing for a while, don’t really look for more stability or spin time anymore, but rather the ones that suits them best. Sometimes you want a rather light rims and overall lighter yoyo for speed play, while sacrificing spin time and a little stability because of the less weight on the rim, etc.

Thanks for the Intel guys!