Foam identification help

I have a Hyper Yo Spinners box from 1998. I’m working on making a new case. I want to make it with the same type of foam.

Does anyone know what density foam I will be looking for?

Thank you for any help

Brian… I am not ‘positive’ about the rating, but>

This is what I use to use…a long, long time ago>

Charcoal foam/high density. Because you aren’t really looking for ‘rebound’. You are looking for something easy to cut with a tomato paste can that isn’t squishy, lol.

You know how to do the can cuts, right?

You get a tomato paste can… but instead of cutting off the top in the normal manner. You orient the manual can cutter so you cut the top rim off the can. Then, the can has a very sharp, slightly serrated edge that you can push and twist into the foam.

Or you can use a power hole saw cutter. But you have to cut in reverse or you tear the foam up horribly, lol.

The paste can is the ticket.

I am including a chart that shows the various densities/weights of all kinds of foam.

Notice, towards the bottom of the list, they even call the foam ‘charcoal’. So, the color kinda gives it away. It isn’t hard as a rock, but dense enough to cut easy for cases without shredding or ripping.

4 Likes

Thank you.

I have used the can method on my current case. The Foam was from Hobby Lobby, but now that I’m actually getting around to making the guitar case to hold Yo-Yo’s.

I’ve realized I really don’t like that white foam.