Reworked my yoyo case

Got a few more throws, had to make room in the case. Made a video for some reason

14 Likes

Looks great! What did you use to dye the foam?

Also, the can has the top crimped lip cut off, correct? Unlike how a traditional can opener leaves the crimped part and cuts inside it? Is there anything else done to prepare the can or just cut the end off?

Ivan

1 Like

Rit dye for the foam! And yes, you put the can opener the wrong way on the can, sideways. That cuts the whole top of the can off leaving a sharp edge. It’s a hunts tomato paste can. 50mm diameter.

2 Likes

Good info to know, thank you! Nice work on the refresh!

Ivan

3 Likes

If you want to make it easier on you next time, running a power drill backwards with a 2” hole saw drill bit is a lot easier on your wrists and much quicker. This is what I used and drilled 56 holes in about 5 mins: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-2-in-Hole-Dozer-Bi-Metal-Hole-Saw-with-3-8-in-Arbor-Pilot-Bit-49-56-9667/202327737

You’ll want to remove the pilot bit, which you can do with a wrench.

Little bit more expensive (unless you return the drill bit afterwards), but so much easier.

4 Likes

I would like to add to this, depending on the density of the foam using a can might be easier. Over the last two years I have had some times where hole saw was quick and easy, other times it snagged and ripped. If you can find it, “High Density Charcoal Foam” is the easiest to work with and comes in black. In my area most hobby stores have the white cushion foam which can vary wildly in texture.

Case looks great @Beverchakus !

1 Like

Yeah, a hole saw on this foam would totally destroy it. Can is much better in this case. I can see a hole saw working but only on super dense foam.

I got regular charcoal foam (so not high density) from Foam Factory Inc and the hole saw worked great. It only snagged on one of the 56 holes and I think it was because I was spinning the bit too slow while pushing through the foam too fast. Just looking at the foam you have in that case, you’ll be find with a hole saw. I’m telling you, save your wrists next time.

But agreed, your case looks great :slight_smile:

1 Like

When I made my case I based it off this thread, which was really useful. There’s a definite evolution from can to drill. They mention using silicone on the drill bit so it slides through the foam easier, but I found that to be unnecessary. Homemade Yo-Yo Case Thread: D.I.Y. 40 Yo-Yo Case

Last thing, if it’s just one or two holes, I’d definitely go the can route to save money. But if you have a bigger project like I did, go the drill route. Super important that you run the drill backwards, though. Running if forwards, with the way the teeth are facing on the bit, will absolutely tear it to shreds. Backwards for some reason works really well.

2 Likes

Ooooooh ok, running backwards makes SO much more sense. I honestly wasn’t able to picture a hole saw not murdering the foam. backwards though… that makes sense. I’ma try this for my mini throws. I love the can, but there’s only that one 50mm size and my mini’s float in those holes.

1 Like

On that same topic…

The “hot wire” gizmo to cut foam is really bad for the dense charcoal foam, would not recommend.

1 Like

For sure. And yeah, I have 2 undersized throws that are loose (Assassin & Mini Star 2). What I did is take the circular piece of foam that’s left after you drill the hole, cut it in half with a scissors, then cut that to the center (like a pac man), and put it around the axle. Then I put that and the yo-yo into the hole and it’s pretty snug. It doesn’t look perfect, but it does the trick. Like this:

2 Likes