Flowable Silicone: FAQ

Awesome FAQ. Very informative. Thanks

You asked this same question above: Today at 08:24:17 PM Central Time

And here: http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,27198.0.html

Once is sufficient, thanks - jhb8426

All I can suggest is that you take the Blue RTV out and replace it with Flowable, Red RTV, or a K-pad.

(Sorry for the late reply =/ I won’t be surprised if the problem has been solved already)

It’s O.K. for late replies. I appreciate your help! It’s solved and I found out that it was the bearing. I cleaned it and it resolved. Thanks anyways!

Just buy the cheapest flowable you can, and use a skinny tip to put in the response area, and clean with the top corner of a guitar pick to remove excess.
Don’t worry how long it lasts, just redo it when it is fading!!
Happythrows,
yotilidrop

Just thought I would reiterate that “Replace the flow-able with Red RTV” can in essence be redundant. RTV is the temperature with which the silicone cures or vulcanizes. Both Flow-able and Non-Flow-able silicone are RTV, which means they cure at room temperature, otherwise we would need to cure our recently sili’d yoyos in a vacuum chamber. So “Replace the flowable with red non-flowable” would be more correct and less misinforming.

Thank you.

1 Like

Oh man just did this to my Genesis and it’s pretty awesome. Since my Sasquatch already had it done to it stock I couldn’t wait to see what it’d be like in one of my YYF. I did it last night at midnight thinking I wouldn’t be home until late since there was a college football game, but it rained all day so I didn’t go out. I waited until 7:30 and everything seems to be fine. I took it apart again to let it set the rest of the night.

Hey guys, I have a question. I went out and got some Premium WaterProof Silicone, made by General Electric. Can I use this on my yoyos? Or does it have to be a specific brand exactly.

It doesn’t have to be a particular brand. However, if it’s not “flowable” (as per this FAQ) it will not self-level and you will need to investigate other tutorials.

Also, if it is silicone caulking (for sealing bathroom faucets and the like, or for external applications for your house) it may not be quite as dense/durable as you will want in a response. In other words, the string will chew it up before too long.

Aside from the Permatex Flowable Silicon sold on this site (and elsewhere of course!), the other popular NON-flowable option is anything called “gasket maker”. You will need to be more careful as well as level (or in most cases, create a concave surface) manually.

1 Like

I suggest you take GregP’s advice, and I’ll reinforce that the brand name usually does not matter. Also, the second video on this FAQ shows how to install silicone that is not “flowable”. I’ve never heard of anyone using the exact type of silicone that you have, but it’s always fun to experiment. Perhaps your waterproof silicone won’t absorb bearing lubricant like other response types :-\ who knows.

-Good luck!

Thread necro :wink:
Thanks alot man, this really helped me, just finished my first silicone job ;D

1 Like

What about responsive yoyos? I have a YoYofactory & YoTricks collaboration called The Sage (OneStar knockoff).

I don’t know much about how Flowable would work in that particular Yo-Yo. What response system does your Yo-Yo have currently? Most Yo-Yos that have a response system in a recessed groove are compatible with flowable, provided the groove is deep enough. I don’t really know how responsive your Yo-Yo will be if you put flowable in it, you’d have to experiment and find out for yourself.

It has the standard YoYoFactoctory response, CBC “Slim Pad” Size 19mm. I’m currently using the blue response pads. They work great but I have a feeling my polyester string is just killing it and am looking for a cheaper alternative. I know it’s compatible, but I’m wondering if it will work since I’ve never heard of anyone using flowable on a yoyo setup responsive. Come to think of it, seems like responsive yoyoing as a whole is a dying trend.

I put flowable in my Yomega Maverick because the stock rubber response wore down. The flowable caused it to lose some responsiveness, but I could still bring it back with a tug if I wanted to. I think gap width might be more important than the type of silicone used. I doubt any type of silicone could make a responsive Yo-Yo completely unresponsive, but who knows.

its the bearing that makes it unresponsive

1 Like

The bearing, response and gap width are all important factors in how responsive the Yo-Yo is.

Some response systems are grabbier than others. The gap width especially affects how much the Yo-Yo will respond to a tug. A really tight gap and a friction sticker will make a Yo-Yo responsive even if the bearing is a clean size C ten ball.

Response is 99% due to the bearing being lubed (or not). The gap size has some effect. Response type has little to do with it. As an example, I have a stock hitman (o-ring response) that I can make totally unresponsive simply by using a dry bearing.

99%? ??? I’m a bit confused, because I have Yo-Yos with bearings I’ve cleaned that play responsive due to a small gap width. The YYF Velocity for example, can play responsive or unresponsive depending on how you adjust the gap width.

That’s my experience. I’ll concede maybe 95%.