Flow able silicone issues and responsiveness issues

Instead of silicone I’ve shaved an O-ring flat before it works just as well though depending on the rubber it may be less grabby for binds. They also last forever.

Thats what came stock. I hated it.

I missed the YYJ part in the OP and just skipped to the flowable part. Paul put blue o rings in the confection I have. I think they are a neoprene rubber and I love them but I don’t know where to get them or if they’re the right size for a YYJ.

Try the silicone again but keep in mind the concept of a meniscus. If you don’t know the term fill a glass halfway with water and look at how the water “climbs the side” a bit. That’s from surface tension. The same idea applies to the flowable silicone so you don’t need to make the silicone flush with the groove. I always finish the silicone with my finger and make sure it is just shy of being flush.

OK, what about this^.

Flick tests are iffy at best. I wouldn’t worry about the flick too much. When there’s no load, no spinning yoyo’s momentum carrying the spin along, you’re going to have mediocre results on a flick. On the other hand, super-long spinning bearings on a flick are no guarantee that under load they won’t slow down.

Lube will always slow a bearing down. Dry will always be longer-spinning (assuming there are no physical problems like galling).

10-balls are prized because they are perceived as smoother, not because they’re faster or longer-spinning. I don’t know for sure, but I’ve heard that 10-balls are actually a touch slower/shorter-spinning.

I think my longest-spinning bearing on a flick was a generic 8-ball with DryPlay treatment. That didn’t make it my best bearing (though, it’s no slouch! The DryPlay helped it out significantly).

YYJ never sold a yoyo with shaved o-rings. It’s a mod to the response some people do. Thus it is not “stock”.

Not shaved, O ring. It looked like a shaved O-ring because it was black and flat.

GregP, I’m so stupid, I didn’t notice my YYJ bearing was a 8 ball ;). Will that Terrapin(spelling?) dry lube help?

The black o-ring is stock most likely. A shaved o-ring is flush with the shell, much like a sili job. You do it by using a razor blade to shave off everything that is above the surface (while it is installed in the groove). So if it was flat to the surface on yours, someone shaved it. YYJ did not sell it that way.

No, it came stock with black pads, which I assume are O rings. (According to YYE)

EDIT, just check YYE they are silicone O rings. But on here they are white, mine were black. They also do not sell yellow. Mine also has a dome vs a gold nut thing and solid spin axle.

Your mileage may vary! Applied correctly, I think DryPlay would help any bearing in terms of spin time. However, I only treat one or two bearings with it because I don’t like the metallic hiss bearings get when treated. I’m pretty picky about sounds, and I like a lightly lubed bearing for the smooth sonic qualities. :wink:

1 Like

Then it’s probably an older model made before the solid spin axle came out. They also may have sold their sili pads in black at one time, but they are not true o-rings. An o-ring is round, not flat.

1 Like

Silicone o-ring. I’ll take a picture if you want. They are stretchy, because they can out and are to big to put back in.

Yup. I’ve seen people and unfortunately even manufacturers call flat pads “O-rings”, mind you. It’s a pet peeve of mine. The usefulness of the term “O-ring” is lost when people start using it to refer to any circular response.

You can bet that whenever I say “O-ring”, I’m referring to the round ones.

1 Like

ok :wink:

Im referring to the black, not the roundness.

1. I have Siliconed my general yo torrent plenty if times you have to wait overnight to harder properly.
  2. I being responsive means you probably put a tiny bit too much in for your Silicone job. next time have a piece of paper to get some extra silicone off or have it just under the groove.
  3. Thick lube wears off eventually it takes a lot of time. And also most put too much on it. And overtime it will be unresponsive. But to speed it up just clean the bearing.

Thanks, I probably did fill it up to the edge of the bearing seat. I’ll try less next time. I also know 100% that I am not putting to much lube in. I use the Dip and Touch method. And I definitely wait long enough for it to dry. In fact this silicone job dried longer because I went to Georgia that day. I also use THIN lube.

okay for lube it is to add response also if you need to clean your bearing air blasting it helps a lot also if you Yoyo a lot with that Yoyo it helps wear it down so it’s useable again.

This topic is over. I have found out what I need to know. I use THE DIP AND TOUCH METHOD to lube my bearings, which means i put in a microscopic amount in my bearing. I am not concerned with the bearings anymore. And I found out what I need to know about the response. Thanks everyone!

When you dip and touch, sometimes the chained polymers will “pull” more lube into the bearing than you actually expect. Could still be overlubed!

Have you considered bike chain oil? If you have, then reconsider. Bike chain oil is way too thick.