Floatiest throw

Dollar Tree yoyo! :smiley:

To me float=drag.
Drag x yoyo + n(time)= need faster yoyo.
Every 1 so far is right, the Summit, Bonfire, CLIFF, and what ever else people are saying is correct.
I found a little “float” my old DreadnoughtG, and that was all the float I needed in a throw.
The only other type of float I wish came with every throw would be the rootbeer kind^^…

Nope… Physics my friend, it’s all about where the weight is on the throw. Some heavier throws can feel very light and floaty, and some light throws can feel heavy and dense.

For example, no one would ever say a Dingo (63g) is floaty, yet it is nearly the same weight as the Chik! (66g) which is very floaty IMO. So weight alone is not it.

1 Like

It IS physics.

The spin dynamics will make the yoyo come to the end of the string differently, which will make it feel more or less “solid”… and that feeling of the yoyo going to the end of the string will inform your perception for the rest of your play session.

But after that initial throw, it’s still 66g vs 63g (or whatever). Mass is still mass. There is no doubt that light weight in a throw can be a major contributing factor to whether or not it is floaty. You’re correct that it’s not the only factor, but let’s not brush aside weight altogether. :wink:

Thank you. You’re another one of few whose input I highly value :wink:

What I will say is there really aren’t any set limits weight wise. I’ve tried 70g+ yoyos that felt more floaty than solid. I see what a lot of you guys mean, and I realize it’s really hard to differentiate between light and floaty. I’d really have to just give you two throws of identical weights, but one bing solid and one being floaty.

I agree that some 70g yoyos feel floaty. The H5xChief is one of them! But if you have two yoyos of identical weight, that “floaty” feeling is first started by the very real feeling of the yoyo coming to the end of the string. If the weight distribution, gap, walls, response system all contribute to the yoyo “unwinding” a little less rapidly, it’s going to feel floaty because it will hit the end of the string more gracefully.

This perception is enormously influential on the rest of your play time. From the minute you think, “Holy crud, that didn’t even thunk!” you are going to marvel at the yoyo’s play on the string as well. :wink:

The stability of the yoyo will also probably be a factor. When a yoyo is incredibly stable, it feels effortless to bounce it around from string to string. This is also perception. You huck that thing around, bouncing it all over the place and marvel at how agile it is. But really, it’s your confidence and also the yoyo “compensating” that’s giving you that perception.

None of this is to say that “float” doesn’t exist. It does! But let’s make sure we’re identifying what it really means… and what it really means is a crazy recipe composed partially of physics (that first throw, stability on the string) but with a hard-to-quantify but impossible-to-ignore (once you recognize it) perception.

If you had a robot that was able to perfectly reproduce a combo between two yoyos of identical weight, both starting from an in-progress sleeper (not starting on the throw itself), I am as certain as I can be with my layman’s knowledge that they would follow the exact same path at the exact same speed. One yoyo wouldn’t literally “float”.

Back to perceptions… there you are, you’re playing one of your favourite yoyos and you think to yourself, “You know, this felt a lot floatier to me when I first got it.”

I bet the response is noticeably more broken in or you have a string with less bounce. :wink: