Flat Out Bad Yoyos

Just play the yoyo without opinion and have fun with it.

if it spins it does its job.

Flat out bad YoYo’s…hmmmm…

… Got it!

Always
Original
Designs?
Actually
Stolen.

Those… Those are bad yoyos. Just awful. :-[

Lol.

1 Like

Did you try taking the caps off the Epic? That turned mine from a growling cougar to a purring kitten.

Seriously though, with the caps on Epics sound like large mountain cats.

That’s ridiculous. There’s nothing wrong with having opinions on yoyos.

2 Likes

Not this again…

1 Like

Just my opinion.

it makes yoyoing “THAT” much more enjoyable when you stop worring about the throw and you just throw

the only yoyo that i think is actually bad are the yoyos that you get as party favors

there is a slot of yoyo that people dont like and a lot that people love

The fast 201 isnt a crappy yoyo it was built to get people into the sport and give them a starting point it serves its purpose so its a good yoyo

Lets say some one hates the code 2 why does it matter you may love the code 2 but there opinion doesnt matter lets just keep throwin and have fun

I love FHZ’s, Dingos are amazing, and I think Popstars are really fun pocket yoyos.

this sucks lol

I thought you’re not supposed to have an opinion?

2 Likes

I don’t have an opinion bout the throws.

Just about how I choose to enjoy them.

This is very subjective. Here are the yoyo’s that I have purchased that I was disappointed with.

Yomega Xodus II: My first yoyo. I learned the absolute basics on the Xodus so it does have a little place in my heart. At the time I didn’t know it was for offstring play. For 1A play it is honestly quite awful. Way too big, heavy, and cumbersome.

Duncan Flying Squirrel: Got one just because I felt like a communist for not having a Duncan in my bag. lol. It required alot of tweaks just to get the thing to sleep and return properly. The response is dreadful and slows the yoyo down drastically whenever the yoyo is mounted. I can pull off a few tricks with it, but for the money there are much better options out there.

YYF Pocket Change: I got the Pocket Change because I thought it looked gorgeous. Looks can be very deceiving. The build quality of this yoyo is just dreadful. Both black inner rings cracked in multiple places when i tried to take the yoyo apart. The “8 Piece” design is very flawed. The yoyo felt flimsy and cheap when assembled. I decided to glue all of the side pieces together. This definitely made the yoyo feel more solid, and it also allowed me to take it apart easily (without pieces breaking or getting stuck). The yoyo will definitely spin for a long time, but the gap is so small it slows right down when you try to combo. It binds way to easily and grabs when you don’t want it to. The only pro of this yoyo is its looks, and for 13 bucks I guess its ok as a pretty little place holder in my bag.

lol I was talking to the guys from one drop (I did a visit to their shop). I mentioned at some point that I only had one of their yo-yos at the time, and they asked what it was. I said it was the dingo, and I swear dave made this face and said “really? the dingo?”. haha, even its creators weren’t that fond. but anyway I liked the dingo, it had a nice feel I just don’t like super thin or small throws.

Fast 201, X-ConVict, Crucial AYCE, Avant Garde 2

it always bugs me, that “vanilla” way of thinking that all opinions are good and there is no “good, bad or better” of some given stuff. to me, this is plain wrong.

some throws are manufactured with talent, skill, ideas, love and quality equipment, some others are just manufactured by the thousands to make a quick buck (as much of a buck you can make selling yoyo, which is another debate here)

just as there can be gastronomical cuisine and fast food, music made at a rate of an album a day from studio mercenaries, and music made by extremely skilled and talented people.

there is, indeed, nothing wrong with enjoying bad quality stuff, I just went to Burger King yesterday and loved it, that doesn’t make it quality food.

So people enjoy the YWET or the Dingo, and there’s NOTHING wrong with it, it doesn’t make them good throws. The YWET’s ano is awful (LOL @ that denim excuse), the response… well, do I really have to say anything about the response? it doesn’t mean you couldn’t have fun with it, love it and cherish it like your own offspring.

If you have a dumb (not retarded, just an idiot) son, wouldn’t you love him anyway? that won’t make him smart, but does it really matter to you?

The thread was about what people would qualify as “bad yoyos”, to me it means, at a given time (say the throw’s release), the quality (performance, finish, specs, response etc…) could be considered as “below average”.
The Bape was a great throw when it first got released in 2006 (or so I’ve heard), but if you compare it to today’s standards, you might just as well throw a $20 free hand zero.

I do respect that copper YWET much more tho (to some extent), because at least you got a great finish for your money.

On the other side of the spectrum, you can have universally acclaimed products, such as the Genesis, the Chief, those are good yoyos, objectively. You may not like them, and it’s completely fine, but that doesn’t make them bad throws.

So yes, everyone is entitled to his opinion, but an opinion and an objective assessment of measurable quality (you can tell whether or not the finish is of good quality, you can tell if a given throw spins longer, is more stable than another one etc…) are two different things.

There are some throws, when people ask me for advice, I know if I recommend those throws, the person will be happy with it. Not because I have fun with it and I appreciate it, but because I know that this throw will deliver. When a beginner asks me for his first metal, something cheap, you really can’t go wrong with stuff like a DV888 for example. It’s not the most fun throw out there, but it performs well in all areas, and it’s cheap. it’s a great introduction to metal throws.

On the other hand, I love the ClashCube I just got, it’s an amazing throw, but never on earth would I recommend it to a beginner, it’s extremely small (44mm), has a Dsize bearing, and requires a experienced player with a clean game to really shine. Is it truly a “good” yoyo? I honestly couldn’t tell right now (only got it yesterday), the finish is nice, it does perform, but is it up to today’s standards? I wouldn’t give my “assessment” quite yet.

Which brings me to my final point; one can only assess the quality if

1. you spent enough time playing with it
  2. you have a wide field for comparison (i.e. you own or have extensively played an important amount of different products)

which, basically, makes this kind of discussion not very “forum-friendly” to begin with

people will just state their favorite or least favorite throws and present them as objectively good or bad

1 Like

What did you find wrong with the avant garde 2?

When I played it, I found that in my opinion it just doesn’t play like a $120 yoyo or whatever ridiculous price it is. It plays more like a $40 metal. The shape was uncomfortable to me and also I thought the play was atrocious. It just wasn’t for me.

Haha I felt the exact same way.

Yeah I see where youre coming from

I did just think of one that I’d consider “flat out bad”. The gruntbull Orbis. So bad that they offered to anyone who bought it a discount on the next yo-yo they made. (which I don’t think they ever made)