Fixie recommendation

Thinking about picking up a fixie. Don’t know where to begin. Was really interested in the eh wood fixie but kinda expensive for my first. Also like the way OUT looks but there’s many fixies to choose from and don’t know what benefits each have. Would like something well rounded since I don’t know what to expect. What are your thoughts?

I am not experienced whatsoever when it comes to fixed axel but I’ll put in my two cents. So I don’t know if you have considered a plastic fixed axel. If you have, I would skip it (or get that along with another). To me a lot of the fun of fixed axel is using a wooden yoyo. I have a OUT Just For Fun and really enjoy it. Don’t know if this will help, but best of luck!

If you were looking at the Eh (which is AWESOME), the 2015 Baldwin (woodthread axle) is an Eh-killer at a much cheaper price. Same dimensions, same weight, same general shape. It also has chamfered rim edges for a more comfy catch (can’t tell from the pictures if the 2015 does, but the 2014 Eh did not and is very sharp out of the box), and because of the gap design it has very similar control for regens and shoot the moons. I prefer the Baldwin’s smooth walnut to the Eh’s oak, but that’s personal. Objectively, the Baldwin won’t give you splinters.

That’s my pitch for the 2015 Baldwin. It’s a bigger redesign of the original one. In my opinion the 2015 Baldwin and the Eh are the all-around best wood yo-yos out there.

OUT JFF is great too; it’s probably my third favorite wood behind these two^. A little lighter, but smooth, fun, and plays great. Will never fall apart on ya.

1 Like

As far as plastic fixed axles go the Spintastics Manta Ray Yo-Yo is a nice player. That said, my preference is wood. The Manta Ray comes with a wooden sleeve, similar to the Tom Kuhn 3-in-1 yoyoys so the wood axle feel is there.

yeah. They are very similar huh? The Baldwin seems sweet. Defining radar.

How is the hipster? Shape looks interesting.

The Hipster is nice. Of course, all the OUTs are nice.