Fixed/bearing tip top

Anyone know if a top was ever made that could switch between fixed and bearing tip? I don’t mean one that needs to swap tips or tighten the bearing. I mean one that easily on the go could switch. Maybe a button on the top of the top that would lock the bearing tip in place?

As far as I know, the strummol8 love do have a thing that screw on the tip and effectivly lock the bearing without having to do anything. The other one I know is the bearing king, which comes with both tip. But yeah It’s somethign that i searched for a LONG time ago and ended up buying both version of the tops when I wanted a fixed and a bearing one.

2 Likes

Not sure about an easy switch bearing to fixed, but the S8 with a one way bearing is good if you are trying to learn regens with a bearing tip.

1 Like

I think thought the intent of the Love is to play it with the screw on top removed. It also serves as a spin top button and hides the string inside the top.

Yeah but I’ve seen Neff and other snapstart master play with it on… Whenever I end up buying one I’ll update here… But yeah ultimately, no there isn’t any top that change from one to the other easily.

A small note on thighning bearing. bad idea. I destroyed my QSH bearing doing that… =)
Cheers,
paxl

1 Like

Did you mean tightening? Really curious as I don’t want to destroy a bearing lol.

I did thighten one QSH to lock the bearing ( by hand ) and the bearing basically made a weird sound and then they were fried ( even one ball of the bearing went out… S8 aleviate the problem by giving you a nylon washer then a metal one… so that you thighten against the outer of the bearing not the inner fragile part. But to be honest, I won’t plan to do it, I’d be too scared to break it out. On the QSH side, Dale is selling the bearing so that you can replace them. His bearing are ABSOLUTELY amazing. I’d say even better than S8 ones in the begining but they are dry… meaning they won’t last as long as the S8 bearing which are not dry and sheilded I think…

But yeah, thighening down bearing is a bad idea from my experience.

paxl

1 Like
2 Likes

I stand corrected. :slight_smile:

The Love is great! And yes, probably currently the fastest and easiest to change between fixed and free spinning tips.

Just best take the jump ring off of the aluminium cap, or it will vibe a lot.

It’s sooo smooth as a bearing top!

1 Like

I have 2, one is so smooth, the other has some vibe…

It seems that it should me fairly easy to make such a feature as to quickly lock down a bearing tip.
It isn’t too hard to add a washer though. I found a QuickSilver hybrid bearing tip that I wanted to make a fixed tip, so I cut a bearing size washer out of an old motorcycle inner tube. Place the rubber washer between the upper bearing and the nut and it will lock the bearing just like the system on the S8.
You don’t have to tighten it too much to lock the tip enough for fixed play.

Right. The Strummol8 tops come with a silicone (maybe nylon?) washer. My hopes were that there was a tip that you could change on the fly. Perform a wire walker on one throw and a corkscrew on the next, for example.

You need to experience the joy of a fixed tip corkscrew, it’s like a regular corkscrew, only faster!

1 Like

Lol yea that was a bad example. I’ve done the fixed tip corkscrew.

The 1 way bearing tip from S8 is pretty nice, I have one and I like it.

1 Like

It is as long as you have one from the not last batch. I personally have had trouble setting up my Giulia with a 1wb becuase the inner bearing seat is too big…

But yeah… fixed cork… watt top… my face wasn’t happy… =)

1 Like

So you’re proposing a Velocity top?

MAXIMUM RIM WEIGHT!

coming up on YoyoPants

I am not the most accomplished at corkscrew, so my general rule of thumb is, if the top is heavy enough to knock your teeth out, don’t practice corkscrew with it.

Tops are dangerous enough without weaponizing them!