Fixed Axle

The Chopsticks Stall is looking great. These take some practice to land consistently. Here is the Lunar Landing version single and 2x https://youtu.be/lrxwx-__ydc .
Thanks Ed for introducing me to the trick! The other name variation for the Lunar Landing is Bird in Hand (coined after a Team High Performance player landed the trick in Japan).

2 Likes

Wow, impressive!

Personally, I found the landing part of the trick to be relatively easy. Took me nearly 40 years to get the Shoot the Moon part! Maybe I’ll get it two handed by the time I’m 90… :-\

1 Like

Thanks. It took awhile to get the stall on the other hand. It is great you have Shoot the Moon down with one hand the other hand will eventually follow (before 90). Dale Myrberg helped me a lot on Shoot the Moon (this included a 600+ mile road trip to learn more from the master). He is the reason I used a pair of Jack Russells at the 2015 Nats. Here a couple of fixed axles and fixed axle challenge pins from Dale some go back to the Hummingbird Yo-Yo days.

Nice!
That is a cool way to get into it.
I wonder if you could do it from a more traditional Chopsticks Mount…

I’ve done a more “traditional” chop sticks stall. It’s a bit awkward, as you need to throw "the wrongs way. Instead of throwing as you normally would, string facing out, I throw it string facing in (hope that makes sense). Because of the way the string will wind back up, when you go into chop sticks it you can create a stall.

It will work on a traditional stall, but much more tricky as the string is trying to wind the same way as you are trying to land on the string.

Hope that all makes sense, again, I am horrible at naming/describing tricks ;D

Thanks!
I was just trying it and it is tricky.
You would also have to make sure there was enough string in the stall to regen.

Yes, that is the other part. As I toss it up into the chop stick mount, it is winding up. So I’m feeding it string from my throw hand, so the distance in the end from your throw hand to non throw hand is 8-10 inches, gets close.

I’m going to be gone all weekend, if I get time I’ll try to make a video of it.

Fixed axle or no, I seriously can’t do a trick anymore without a Lunar…

:o on the fixed axle one especially!

Once again, videos from Ed where I shake my head in disbelief. The only saving grace is remembering when I was a white belt in Kyokushin karate, seeing the higher kyu and Dan doing things, and after hard work gaining the skill.

All that said, I’ve just discovered the fun of trying fixed axle tricks with unresponsive throws.

The yoyo. So simple, yet so many ways to express yourself and have fun with it.

Ed, your latest clips of fixed axle inspired unresponsive tricks have been great. It’s been fun working out how to get to stalls using an unresponsive yoyo, and working on applying fixed axle techniques to an unresponsive.

Had a second, here’s a quick clip of the “Chop Sticks Stall”

Ed, what was the bearing axle throw you used in the instagram?

Sengoku Kenshin. Basically the exact opposite of a fixed axle. :wink:

Very nice! Thank you. I love how the yoyo community is all about sharing tricks and encouraging each other.

Sweet!