Fixed Axle Friday Throws

This is a great @Augie quote and thank you for sharing. Sometimes its better to go with the heart, as its easy to overthink simplicity.

Have to agree, the added response and control makes up for it.

Still playing with the “Training Wheels” off, but I wouldn’t say I’m a Penny Farthing racer quite yet, even though I was able to pick up a couple trick clips. I also now understand the SF era bias for No Jives, today I’m throwing an SF era Filigree Mandala No Jive with some tarnished axle hubs. This one weights in at 50 grams, so 2 grams lighter than the BC era, and it also feels a little slimmer in the hand. This is a beautiful yoyo and it definitely has that Tom Kuhn “IT” factor.

Happy Fixed Axle Friday.

16 Likes

Happy Friday everyone! Decided to go with a personal favorite today with the BC Apollo. At 57g its got quite some heft as far as most fixed go but man its got some power and it stalls like a dream. Im never sure how widely regarded the Apollo is across the community dont hear it mentioned a lot but its always impressed me. Not to mention love the color mixed with the natural grains

15 Likes

It was my choice for this Friday too​:+1::yo-yo:

17 Likes

Any luck? :grinning:

3 Likes

I do think I’ll have a handful - a couple need the engraving actually - I’ll make a post when we plan to put them online but expect a few weeks before that happens! :wink:

6 Likes

This week is my 150th consecutive Fixed Axle Friday Throws post. So why not play the Purple Duncan Pro Fly from the OP. Still a great player and I don’t understand why Duncan doesn’t have these in their current line up @bjardin? Either way these can be found NOS and Pro-Yo axles work inside. I also got a trick clip, I like to call these Bro Zines, as I discovered these trying to do @drewtetz Makin Da The Zines from a Frontside perspective, sometimes I like to do these all day, and is a fun stall repeater.

21 Likes

Somebody “Liked” this post over a year later. I wish I could remember what the tricks were! Maybe that “Lawn Mower” one, and one I haven’t recorded called “Levitaion”.

1 Like

That is a cool repeater/stall, and a fine looking throw sir.

2 Likes

WoW! Thanks for all the awesome content! You rock @Exmime! Happy yoyo.

9 Likes

Humble (but super fun) Duncan Tournament repro bought for a couple of quid on eBay.

16 Likes

I think I know what you’re going to do with that.

3 Likes

As if… :laughing:

2 Likes

Spinworthy Survivalist and some survival juice. Only 439 minutes til the weekend.

20 Likes

Oh nice! Still throwing Spinworthy I see.

4 Likes

Yeah mate! There are four throws in my collection I will never relinquish. Someone will have to pry them from my cold dead giant hands. Two of them were pried from your warm Australian hands!

White Oak Ballsy
Survivalist
Wanker
Batsquatch

It was a sad day when you confirmed you’re not making yoyos for export any longer. Maybe one day I’ll sell one of my other two spinworthy throws for thousands of dollars as an exotic rarity…

5 Likes

Today I’m keeping things simple and throwing only No Jives.

More photos here:

24 Likes

I still can get my no-jive to jive right. Always either too responsive or not responsive enough.

3 Likes

@TheThrowingGnome Thanks, I did finally get this OG maple TMBR Baldwin tuned up and back to responding with a little more snap after replacing the axle. For only weighing in at 53 grams it definitely plays with a little punch. A beautiful piece from @colinleland

20 Likes

That was my intention, but very soon after I stopped, I had several people wanting me to make them yoyos and Ive been finding it hard to persistently say no. One of the requests was for a small batch of a potential signature plastic unresponsive yoyos for a well-known player. I’m still prototyping that one.

9 Likes

I borrowed one of the Ed ‘play simply’ no-jives from a friend. I found the response to be pretty poor.

It all hinges on whatever axle you have in it I think. I made some about fraction narrower from a different wood and they respond much better.

3 Likes