Fixed Axle February-Week 2

Nicely done!

1 Like

Would shoot the moon be the most beginner friendly trick? At least its summer here and i can head out into the heatwave to give it a crack haha

1 Like

I think it depends on how you want to learn. Zipper stalls are a good progression from trapeze stall and is really easy to break down into different parts to focus on. STM is a looping trick and is very easy conceptually but requires repetition to get the right feel. It depends on how you want to learn.

Personally, if you have the weather for it, Iā€™d go STM. Iā€™m terrible at STM mostly because it is logistically difficult for me to practice it because all my ceilings are too low and I never seem to have enough time outside (and itā€™s winter now. Very winter).

1 Like

Iā€™ve got the go part pretty well down and can even land it back on the string and finish the trick but itā€™s like the smallest hop ever. Iā€™m working on getting some more height now.

As Nate said in his video, choosing the right throw for this one is pretty important. I tried it on a few fixies and found the new mold butterfly to work pretty well for it, but a lot of my throws are just too responsive.

2 Likes

3 out of 4 tricks this weekā€¦ STM i donā€™t have many indoor spots to try and get on film so i went for it today on my way to work, i also usually donā€™t have a much free time as asat morning so here you go. Stop N Go Eli hop el hopefully come to me by the end of the week.
Zipper, STM, and a lunar landing.

13 Likes

Managed to do all 4 again this week (I hope). Let me know if thereā€™s something I missed.
Chasing Stop 'n Go Eli was fun. Iā€™ll definitely keep on practicing it from here on.

14 Likes

For anyone chasing Stop and Go to Eli Hop, you might try practicing this in isolation. Landing a trapeze with reverse spin is tricky. It has a natural tendency to instantly wind up when it lands on the string.

Once you can do that consistently, try increasing the height of the yoyo before landing in trapeze.

13 Likes

Youā€™re fortunate. Itā€™s maybe 20 degrees here today. :joy: That said, STM is a great trick but certainly a challenge.

Thatā€™s good advice.

2 Likes

I love seeing all the entries. Hereā€™s all 4 for this week.

22 Likes

Thatā€™s control!! Nice. Love the bike too.

Dam son

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been working on a variation of shoot the moons that I call low-orbit shoot the moons (I donā€™t know if this is already a thing). Iā€™m trying to do STM without letting my hand go higher than my shoulder. Itā€™s challenging, and I definitely smacked myself in the face this morning with my plastic butterfly :joy:

5 Likes

Smooth with it!

3 Likes

This week was a fun challenge as a novice fixed axle thrower. Framing the STM was not the easiest haha.

14 Likes

I almost forgot there are bonus tricks. Hereā€™s Split the Atom.

17 Likes

Iā€™m having real trouble getting a fixed axle to spin long enough to pull off the stop-n-go.

I either have too much response, or, the response eats through the string in a short while. Iā€™m currently trying with a psychedelic butterfly w/ cotton string thatā€™s been lavished with a chapstick on the business end.

Is this a thing where I just need to eat a few strings until I get a good combination of chapstick, string type, string tension and yoyo, or is there something Iā€™m missing? Had similar trouble with going directly to double-or-nothing stall last week.

3 Likes

I would skip the chapstick for the Eli hop. Chapstick increases response and you want it to respond less for the hop.

FWIW I use poly on my Butterflies, but I donā€™t think that should make a significant difference in response.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips, I have very little experience w/ fixed axle so any little tweaks you guys can pass on are a big help!

Such a tricky balance to find between response and spin :yo-yo:

2 Likes

Any tips for the Eli hop would help. I get a decent pull from the stop and go but the yo-yo seems to respond before I can land the trapeze.