FIXED AXLE CHALLENGE!!! ROUND 3!!!!!!!(!!!)

It took me a 30 minutes, BUT I DID IT.

1 Like

It is amazing what you guys are able to do with a fixed axle. I am still rapping my knuckles trying to be constant with a stall.

Funny thing is making da zines is a move I thought I came up with awhile back to give my tricks some flare.

Learn something new everyday!

I can’t wrap my head around STM. Someone suggested working on Planet Hops. That is no problem for me. But after 1 STM it’s all over, the YoYo just spins out. That’s no matter how my string tension is. Anyone have any tips, going to keep working on it as I’ve got time.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve been doin that for years, never knew it was a trick :slight_smile:

1 Like

worth noting that “zines” is more of a repeater, which makes the name understandable. in the tutorial i focus on the discrete regen, because it IS so useful to end tricks, but the way drew does it is very original and really tough to replicate with the same casual feel.

for people struggling with moons, my advice would be to use something nice and light with a bfly profile and relatively flat walls and sharp angles at the caps (a no jive is NOT ideal for learning moons, and imo MOST tmbrs are even tougher). make sure your slipknot-finger is pretty perpendicular to the string as the yo-yo comes back and forth. it really doesn’t require the arm to move too much (all in the wrist, or even the fingers). as with all looping tricks, dale oliver’s sage advice is to ONLY practice good loops. as soon as your yo-yo tilts, stop the trick and start over. don’t practice trying to correct the yo-yo’s movement or it will take forever to get it. stick with it!

1 Like

My god…
3 hours of filming…
Got hit in the face 8 times…
Still haven’t hit it.

2 Likes

So I think I properly did one shoot the moon but it be and it became a train-wreck from there. Reverted to the tutorial here on YYE, my confidence isn’t very high after hearing Andre say “This is honestly one of the hardest looping tricks you’re going to learn.” Back to the drawing board.

@Pineapple Jumpsuit - I’ve not hit my self that many times yet, but you aren’t the only one in the smacked myself in the face multiple times club, if it makes you feel any better.

I’m in the hit yourself in the face club too ;D

My problem is I’ll do one perfect, then on the second one when I shoot it up the string unravels and the Yoyo falls. Not sure why.

1 Like

Like Ed said, use your wrist.
Also, I found it helpful to not let the yoyo get to close to your hand.

Did I do the regen right?

1 Like

Your not keeping the yoyo in line with the string on your regen. It really needs to move forward and back in straight line. Keeping your finger level and perpendicular helps. Make sure your throw is straight to start with.

There is no good way to learn this trick other then just keep practicing. It took me 2 months of fiddling around with to get this trick down.

1 Like

What unlocked moons for me was learning how to read the angles. Specifically, I mean your initial forward pass angle. If it’s too low, for instance, when it comes back out on the other side, it’ll be coming out more forward and up. If you start out too high, it’ll want to shoot straight back. And every yo is different, too. They each have their own unique parabolic arc, if you will. The arc can be more acute or more obtuse depending on weight, shape, you name it. For some i’ll start out with a throw slightly above horizontal, and others I start with a full 45 degrees. Oh and keeping your hand in a “salute-like” position helps keep everything on the same plane. I agree with Ed that yoyos with flatish rims and tallish gaps will moon better. So butterflys, the eh, some of the pre wood thread tmbrs, and I’d add proyos are all good’ns. Hope this helps! I’ll have mine up tomorrow afternoon :wink:

4 Likes

If I messed up the zing regen on the re upload of mine please tell me.

The yoyo has to start responding on your freehand side
So it starts the response before it loops around your throw hand

It was really close there so I think that would be Ed’s call…

i talked to drew about it and i’m gonna give it to him. it’s the right idea and better than before, just a little bit wonky.

The only difficult part of the trick for me is landing that trapeze, most of the time it seems to come back really fast and i miss that trapeze.

what Kyle said.

also, don’t underestimate the practice that y’all are doing.

when I was learning, I had several fruitless sessions, and then it just started to happen almost as if by magic - but it wasn’t. it was just practice.

Hang in there, if you push through, you can totally get this.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tips ed, Logi, Jon, Kyle & Adam. Going to keep working on this, been wanting to learn STM for awhile, this has given me the motivation to learn it.

Unfortunately for me, timing is really bad. I’ve got a hour or so tonight after work before family comes in to work on it and film. Spent some time last night and this morning. Got one that was really clean, but having trouble repeating. I’ll keep at it, however this is probably (unless something clicks tonight) my round to step aside. Thanks for the cool contest, I’ll be keeping up with everyone and cheering everyone from the sidelines, and working on each round in the background ;D I hope this becomes a regular event here!

I put in an extra you of practice last night and woke up early to get a little in. I did one clean rep and cycled into the next forward pass but instinctively caught it on its way back. I’m halfway there on the moon reps at least. Like Aaron, the timing of this round/trick has me scrambling. Luckily I’ve got most of the day on Sunday (my only day of during this round and coincidentally the last day of it. But if I can get the base trick in the first day, and I’ve already got trapeze stall and makin da Zines down, just gotta get clean reps and put it all together at this point.

https://instagram.com/p/2JUY5gjqwI/

Man! I’m rusty! I hope you can make out I used a Manta.

1 Like