first metal help

hi i want to get a metal yoyo but i have no idea of which ones are good so thats why im going to u guys these are what i think
superstar
genesis
no.9

Well, what are you looking for in a yoyo?

Well… my favorite out of all those you listed is the superstar. Its got a weird feel to it at first but it plays soooo smooth. :smiley: Definately recomend one but idk for your first metal… I would start a little cheaper because believe it or not, yoyos get dings. I didnt realize this my first metal was a 888 and I dinged it pretty good. I think its true with alot of players that their first metal was their beater.

i want a yoyo that sleeps long i have a protostar but i just want something that can grind because that looks cool

Based on that you can get anything you want since any yoyo sleeps long and any yoyo can grind

yuuksta sleeps very long

I got a yuuksta as a first metal, it’s great, really great

but then I got an aoda flying shuttle (modded tho) and it’s my main practice throw. It’s good to go back to the yuuksta because it makes me play faster and speed proof my tricks tho.

but the flying shuttle is great if you can get your hands on one, plus it has 3 different sets of hubstacks, including “side caps” looking ones that will help you with stability and spin time

and on a good throw, the yuuksta does sleep like forever (mine didn’t come with center trac bearing, just regular YYF bearing)

I honestly don’t think you need a metal, when i yoyo’ed, i found myself using my protostar, and my DM way more than my hatrick, my punchline, my ministar, and my other metals, and if you can learn to grind with a protostar, you will be able to grind like nobody’s business with a metal, i don’t suggest getting a metal until you really NEED one, i got a Dv888 and had only been playing for like 2-3 months, and i had really wished i had followed the advice given to me to wait longer, like when i had been playing for 7 months, that’s what i suggest, but if you REALLY, like can’t wait any longer, i would definitely suggest the California Funda-metal by YYF, its a perfect first metal, and i would suggest it to anyone looking for a first metal.

well, some people just yoyo for fun. he probably don’t NEED one, me neither, but maybe he WANTS one because the feel of plastic is really not that great, and 50/80$ for a yoyo is really not that expensive if you work.

I know I don’t care about what I need when it comes to hobbies, I care about what I want and what I can afford

yoyo is not a serious matter, specially if you’re beginning, it’s all about fun and things you want to do, and even if you’re a beginner and/or a bad player, playing a metal yoyo is still 10x better than a plastic, when it comes to the general feel of play, tactile sensations etc…

I say you got the cash, you want one, just get one and have fun, be prepared to ding it but have fun because this is what it’s all about, nothing else

im gonna have to disagree with you on that one, its all about preference, ask apetrunk if he likes the feel of a plastic or metal better, he will say plastic, (or at least when i asked him he said plastic) but yes, yoyoing inst a serious matter, you should do what you want most.

Metals don’t hold much over pastics these days. They have a different feel to them, and that’s pretty much it. When you are getting a metal, you are getting it because you want a metal, not because you want a “better” yoyo.

Most metal yoyos are good, so what you need to do is to look around, read reviews and then make your own decision. If you are too lazy to do the work I can care less about what yoyo you are getting. But we all know that you are hard-working and want the best yoyo for you, so as long as that’s true, you won’t have to worry.

well yeah but some finishes are better for grinds than others like hatrick grinds better that lets say ummm Axiom! but yeah my point is some metals are bad for grinding some metals are good and some people can grind on a plastic some people cant at all. :wink:

back on topic as a first metal and a good grinder get a ministar or a zeekio tempest :wink: :slight_smile:

I would get the No.9 its a cheap metal , and it grinds very good. Plastics, metals, its preference.

I would get the superstar, I haven’t tried the others but I’ve hit it off the ground sooo many times and the scratches are only visual, they don’t affect play. I got a purple acid wash superstar so grinds aren’t the best but they’re better than a plastic. Hope this helped ;D

I would say get a yuuksta. I got a limited edition splash yuuksta and it is by far my favourite throw at the moment, it grinds forever and it sleeps forever.

Superstar is the most durable yoyo YYF has ever made. It is also one of the best

Yuuksta is definitely a good metal to begin with, it’s good, stable, not that forgiving but enough not to get you bored.
Undersize is a tad bit to land on the string but landing on a string shouldn’t be that much of a problem after 1 month of practice or so. Undersize yoyos don’t get much in the way when you practice string tricks, that’s what I like about them, their size leaves room for mistakes when learning, as long as you got a straight throw.

what I wanted to say about the general feel, is that to me, plastic yoyos feel like toys and I like to build a “tactile” bond to whatever I’m playing with (let it be music instruments -I mostly play on vintage/analog instruments-, camera or a yoyo) and I find, in that way, that metals have more overall “soul” to them.

but again, I know I’m over sensitive over these things, it matters to me, but it might not matter to others

Then I would HIGHLY recommend a DM2 8) It is one of the best grinding yoyos I know of and is relativly cheap (compared to alot of other yoyos). It also has good sleep times. :wink:

Yuuksta all the way, still one of my favourite metals even now that I have an e1ns and a y factor