First combo after 8 years

8 years ago, i had to quit yo-yoing because of health issues and increasing pain in my hands. Last summer, after consulting my physiotherapist, i carefully started throwing again.
It took me some months to learn to throw with the yo-yo attached to the ringfinger instead of the middlefinger and to develop a throw-technique which gives enough spintime but don’t stress my hand too much.
I’m still having trouble to get a straight, powerful throw but i can do some easy tricks again and have fun. Last few days i was trying to put together a little combo. Here’s the best result so far:

The part after the arm wrap is improvised. I wanted to bind after the arm wrap but it felt like there was a good amount of spintime left…

14 Likes

Just like ridin’ a bike! Very nice and welcome back!

And FYI I’m pretty sure Tyler Severance uses his index so nothings set in stone.

5 Likes

Welcome back!

Sorry to hear that you had health issues. The combo looks great actually.

Could you describe your throw technique?

Sometimes my issues with my arm and now I’m wondering if altering my throwing motion might help. Also what yoyo are you using? I’ve stuck with lighter yoyos like the hummingbird because of arm strain.

4 Likes

that was awesome man, cheers to your newfound hand health and cant wait to see more trick vids

2 Likes

Excellent stuff!! Welcome back.

I’m interested in understanding if your hand pain was caused by yo-yo.

1 Like

For me, it’s most important to soften the impact when the yo-yo hits the end of the string right after the throw. I do this either by pinching the string between my thumb and my pinky, so the energy of the impact is scattered between 3 fingers or by moving the throwhand a tiny bit towards the yo-yo, giving the string a little slack.
Like if you do a really strong bind and you move your hand a little bit up to get a softer catch. But exactly the opposite.

No. It was probably a combination of decades of extreme sports, playing music instruments excessively, hard work and Morbus Dupuytren.
I even feel like the mobility of my hands is getting better since i’m throwing again.

2 Likes

That was excellent! Great job!!!

1 Like

Glad your feeling better!!