Trouble with Fingerspins

I’ve been spending the past few days trying to get fingerspins. I’ve got it to where I can reliably get the yo-yo on my finger, and it’ll spin reliably for a second or so, but then it loses it’s balance and just goes wonky.
I’m throwing as hard as I can beforehand to give it max spin time, but it doesn’t seem to matter.
What can I change to make it last longer? I feel like it’s something with my finger, but I’m not sure what.

2 Likes

Are you throwing a breakaway “sidearm” style throw or the across the body/front style throw that Yotricks teaches? Also, what yoyo are you using?

2 Likes

I was following the across the body style that YoTricks shows.

I’m using a MOWL Nocturnal

1 Like

It’s all about the “soft finger” technique. Essentially, you need to let your finger wobble instead of the yo-yo. You need to maintain just the right amount of rigidity in your finger. This is fairly difficult at first, but with practice, time and a lot of patience, it’ll become automatic.

5 Likes

I find a sidearm breakaway throw MUCH easier to learn fingerspins with. Since the Nocturnal isn’t a centering cup style, throw it at a 45 degree angle. Once you land it on the finger the gryro forces will bring the yoyo from an angle to level with the ground. This is when you’ll want to bind. Make sure you use a circular arm motion on the bind and don’t just throw the string into the gap. Maybe use a thick string when learning too. I can provide you a video if you like.

3 Likes

Finger spins are my favorite trick/trick base… I reccomend watching Paul kernel! A “soft” finger is what matters… it’s hard to explain as it’s a feel thing. But your finger needs to be relaxed so it doesn’t right the yo-yos spin… trying a lot of different yo-yos till you find the one that clicks helps for this trick… alternatively the YYR Almighty or similar shape you can finger spin on without a soft finger… which woudo help you learn how to relax those muscles which is all it is… hope this helps… as far as the bind I actually prefer throwing to my left and throwing the string over my shoulder like Paul kernel does as opposed to the normal way… much easier bind

2 Likes

i still can’t bind from a throw to the left, resting the string over my shoulder. it looks like it should be easier to bind that way, but even when i’m able to relax my finger and get the yoyo to spin long enough, the string gets pulled into the gap too soon and in the wrong way and it just falls apart. and i’m using his horizon yoyo. somehow it’s easier for me to have that ‘soft’ finger when i’m throwing to the right.

The key is to have a “soft finger” like some people have mentioned already. If you tense up your finger or if you point straight up the Yoyo will start to wobble and fall of your finger. I like to bend my index finger towards me while having a hook shape with my finger and I also relax my finger so it doesn’t tense up, i guarantee you that if you bend your finger instead of pointing straight up you will ultimately have better success in mastering the trick :wink:

4 Likes

Yeah that’ll happen when the string on your shoulder doesn’t sit firm… you have to hold the yo-yo at a certain distance for it to work optimally. You’ll get it down though I went through the same struggles! Landing the yo-yo at an angle helps a lot in the beginning too

1 Like

the soft finger technique just made finger spins click for me in a way they never have before. grateful for this thread. ive hit finger spins in the past, but it was dumb luck compared to today. still sloppy on the bind, but i was hitting consistent spins on my icarus all afternoon thanks to yalls tips

1 Like

The soft finger technique is important, but the lazer engraving and cup shape of the nocturnal will make it incredibly difficult to fingerspin. I would suggest getting a yoyo specifically designed for finger spins. I am not sure you will be able to solve your fingerspin issues using the nocturnal.

1 Like

Auto correct? Happens to me all the time​:rofl::rofl:

If you really enjoy fingerspinning and want to get a yoyo that is really good at it, the YYF Shutter series (particularly the Wide Angle) with it’s spin cup, and the C3 Speedaholic XX with it’s silky-smooth spin dimple, are two excellent options.
Oh and also the Iceberg. That thing has a nice spin dimple and lots of power to boot. Narrower than the other two though, so whipping the string in to bind takes a little more accuracy.

Ivan