Soft finger technique

Yo I gotta master the soft finger technique for finger spinning. Which of these will be easiest/best to learn that on? @CanniBal I’m ating you because of what you wrote in the other topic and want your opinion. Also everyone else’s opinion.

I got the finger spin down with the yos I got that excel at it and can w the barracuda still usually if I’m quick, but I can’t get the feel of that finger technique yet.

Its nucleon, barracuda, yoshicudax, and yyf bimetal. (That last one is almost a bowl but kind of flat in the middle and I’ve had the least success using it so far).

Seems like I get closest w the barracuda but still always lose it in the middle.

2 Likes

Hey. So all the yoyos there r at least decent for learning fingerspins. If u feel ur fingerspins arent lasting as long as u want them to, dont worry, soft finger technique takes some time to get down. Always consciously do it tho, slightly curl the index and relax the muscles too.

1 Like

All the yoyos you have are very fine to do it the gold one with the dimple is just perfect.

The soft finger is more than a proper technique a state of relaxation of your playing as CanniBal said you have to relax the muscle, this start to happen from the moment that you are sure to get the yoyo in the right position on your fingers, just “let it go” once you catch the dimple relax the entire hand and the yoyo will spin there for ages, you have to keep the hand as natural as you can.

Be sure to throw properly in horizontal the yoyo must be totally horizontal so the finger can get in an horizontal plane this also help, with your eyes follow the yoyo at the beginning, the control is also in your eyes, aim for the centre of the yoyo and when your finger reach the yoyo use the gravity to accompany the yoyo on top of the finger don’t let it bounce on the finger, this is important to don’t have the yoyo out of the dimple, all the movement has to be relaxed.

Good luck man, you can do it!

1 Like

the gold one has a spike not a dimple. Thats a yoshicuda

Ah sorry it seemed a dimple from the picture, my bad!

It is better to have a yoyo with a dimple or something similar like this one:

1 Like

Yeah I can finger spin w the dimples like the edge fs or the summer solstice by yotricks and love to do it on the speedaholic xx with that little cup like I got the throw and catch and bind down for the easier guys but I want mastery of this skill and think I should learn the soft finger technique.

Not that you really need to buy another yo-yo just for this trick, but I found the Horizon to be a really great entry-level yo-yo. It’s not limited to that, but it is a great finger spin yo-yo, and the long spin/stability definitely helped me learn some more complicated tricks.

1 Like

Out of these 4 yoyo’s the Nucleon would be the yoyo I would start on for the finger spin technique. The Yoshicuda would be my second choice.

I learned the technique using a shutter, Its good because its still has a flat area that requires the technique to work but it’s small area for finger spins keeps the yoyo on track.

4 Likes

Mate if you can fingerspin with those yoyos, then you can fingerspin in general and you already have the soft finger technique and probably is natural for you now that you do not even know you do it.

You sort need a yoyo like the ones with the dimples because with spikes and similar the yoyo will rotate around your finger as there is really not a big way to keep it centred.

Sorry maybe I am misunderstanding your request of help!

1 Like

No you’re all good! No need to be sorry! Thank you for contributing!

2 Likes

I disagree. Dimple yoyos make it a lot easier to fingerspin than flat cups or cups with a nipple or something. To say someone has learned fingerspins they need to practically be able to do it with any yoyo regardless of cups style imo.

1 Like

I see it a bit different, while I generally kind of agree with you I think nowadays most of the yoyos have the dimples so there is no need to stress yourself, during those years came out many many yoyos with fingerspin features so I would say to just use one of those and call it a day, if we had only one or two yoyos with the dimple than will make sense to practice do it properly everywhere, if you take a look at those millions dna videos everyone use a yoyo with dimples and similar

1 Like

Are you fingerspinning on your fingernail or the fleshy part of your finger? Bending your finger a little bit at the end so the yoyo rests on your nail is just as important as getting comfortable with soft finger technique.

Throwing at a bit of an angle also helps, a soft finger + putting a little tension on the string will help the yoyo balance out to be horizontal after your catch.

3 Likes

Nail for speedaholic and I use my middle finger w no nail for the summer and edge fs or it doesn’t work as well but I just chucked nucleon a few times and I think I now understand what it should feel like. I didn’t realize that it doesn’t stay centered but kind of orbits around the middle even w nucleon where there isn’t anything in the middle to push it away. I think I was trying to force it to the center too much and losing it. I will try more and see if that holds true w the rest of the squad when I get a chance.

Got a real good one off nucleon tho and that was enlightening

1 Like