Fingernail test removes ano?

This isn’t completely related, but I’ve (accidentally, of course) managed to remove some anno from the inner cup of my K’edge from talon grinding.

1 Like

Do many people fingernail test their yoyos in the middle of the catch zone? I thought it was usually done on the edge…

The middle works better because you stabilize the yo-yo that way and remove the effects of throw imperfections. In my experience anyway.

So does doing it along the edge, though… I just didn’t realize people did it there. Seems to me that there would be less perceivable vibe towards the center?

I always tested it on the edge, but after watching one of @G2_Jake’s video I started testing near the middle too and often feel a tiny vibe near the bearing that isn’t felt on the rim. I think maybe vibe near the middle may often by bearing related while nail vibe on the edge seems to be from usually due to damage or something off in the threading perhaps.

2 Likes

Here’s my experience with anodisation coming off a yoyo:
I also have the same issue with the b grade muse I got from circle city yoyos. You can see that the orange/pink half is looking fine with everything anodised but the purple half has some anodisation coming off and creating rings around the cup because I did some finger spins. I don’t really mind the look cos the purple half actually looks pretty cool but it’s kinda annoying that I’ll have to wash my hands after I do a finger spin on the purple half or throwing and binding to get the orange/pink half on the bottom. Also it happens every time I do a finger spin on the purple half and somehow just scratching at it with my fingernail doesn’t take off the ano. Wonder if anyone here knows a fix.

So is it technically the dye that’s coming off, rather than the actual anodization?

My understanding is that anodizing makes the aluminium more porous; which creates a surface for the dye to adhere. Perhaps some pigments are better at adhering than others?

What? That’s definitely not how that should work. Vibe is magnified as you increase distance from the bearing, which is why checking for vibe on the rim is a better way to check for QC than in the center. A lot of yoyos nowadays will be smooth at the bearing but have vibe on the rim. As Jake explained in his video, there’s three levels of vibe: string vibe, vibe at the bearing, and vibe at the rim, in order from worst to best vibe. G2’s throws are notorious for being ‘G2 smooth’, meaning there’s no vibe anywhere, not even on the rim.

2 Likes

Yeah, I always thought @G2_Jake tested on the rim? Is there something where he says to test further in? Maybe do both?

1 Like

There’s no harm in testing both, but if there’s no vibe on the rim it’s very unlikely that there’ll be vibe near the center.

1 Like

I’ve seen this happen a few times in the past, OG Turning Point Houska was heavily discounted for this exact reason. I’ve also noticed (maybe just coincidence) that if a yo-yo sits in the sun for a while it can fade the ano and make it more prone to fingernails scraping off the color. That happened with my Navigator which I leave on my desk in the sun.

2 Likes

It’s not the dye that’s coming off, it’s literally the anodized layer that is ‘sloughing’ off. Theoretically if you were to rub all the color off the yoyo, you’d have a basically raw yoyo.

There’s no fix other than to strip the yoyo and anodize it again.

(Speaking from experience having messed up my fair share of yoyos as I was learning to anodize.)

5 Likes

Jason has nailed the description. Not a new problem but it’s weird. The only way to test it is to try rub it off every yoyo as it doesn’t really present on every part until you test it and it may just be a single part in a batch. I’d recommend not putting any part in contact with hard surfaces that might scratch them or your beloved yoyo might get stripes.

4 Likes