Fine tuning my fixies

Does no one else use plumbers tape on these axles? It works great on the eh.

4 Likes

I have no idea what is going on here… Even with your explanation.

Especially the first picture with the ear buds. That is really confusing.:crazy_face:

1 Like

The way that I extract the axle is to drill a whole in the centre of the cap all the way through.

I then insert one side of a pair of scissors into the whole. The scissor blade tapers off and therefore when the thickness of the bladed equals the thickness of the drilled hole, it fixes into place and you are able to twist the axle and cap out.

I had glued the caps to the axle (and the to the whole in the yoyo) as part of my second attempt, resulting in extra long pieces of wood made up of half the broken axle and the cap with a hole through the middle.

These became the caps for my third attempt. They offered the benefit of having a whole in them so I could tighten and loosen the caps to get the gap size perfect.

I hope that was more comprehendible!

I also appreciate that this may be confusing to people who know what they are doing, unlike me.

4 Likes

This is a pro-tip. I just tried it and it works incredibly well.

2 Likes

Plumbers tape has been a loose axle solution since time immemorial. Seems to be a new revelation every couple of years.

Everything old is new again…

4 Likes

Worked wonders on the Fluchs! (AND the Busine$$!)

3 Likes